1.31.2012

Prayers Needed!

We had a tragedy strike our small little community today that directly affected both the middle and high school. We had a house fire last night that took the lives of an 8th grader on my campus, and her 10th grade brother who attended the local high school.


Two Fredericksburg teenagers died and their father was seriously burned overnight in a residential fire at 623 Deer View Drive. Perishing in the 4:30 a.m. fire were Brian Cantu, 14, and Justine Cantu, 15. Their father, Armando Cantu, is being treated in Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio for burns he received trying to save his family. Other family members were able to escape without injury or with minor injuries, which were treated at the scene. Funeral arrangements for the two youths are pending at Schaetter’s Funeral Home in Fredericksburg.Cause of the fire is undetermined and remains under investigation.

The whole campus is in shock. Justine, who was the 8th grader, was such a sweet girl and always had a smile on her face. It has really made me realize that I never know when might be the last time I see my students. I have to cherish each and every day with them.



20 comments:

  1. Oh Katie, that is just heart-breaking news.
    I will keep this family--and you--in my prayers today.
    What a sad, sad thing to happen...

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,
    I'm praying for this family (especially the dad who tried to save them!) and your schools. May God bless him with peace, knowing he tried his best.

    Melly <><
    http://staplersstrategies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you and your school and the family..


    Rachel
    Ms. Rachel’s Room

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a terrible story :( I'm so sorry for your community's loss.
    Sending prayers & hugs your way.


    ❤ Mor Zrihen from...
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is sad news indeed, for your school family and your community. Sending comforting thoughts your way. What a sobering reminder to hold onto one another a little bit tighter . . . and praying for peace,

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sad. I will definitely be praying for this family and everyone at your school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My prayers are with the family and you and you all try to get through this. I am so sorry.

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie,
    I am so sorry to hear about this impacting your "school family." Your students (+ school) are lucky to have you caring for the students!

    Thinking of you,
    Ms. D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very sad news! Going to be a tough week for you and your school. Wish you the best in this tough time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll be praying for you all. I can't imagine how heart-breaking this must be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending prayers and positive thoughts to your community from Michigan

    Lisa
    stories114.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Katie, that is so hard. A student passed away from my school very suddenly last year, and it is a difficult thing for the entire community. I'm praying for you and your students, as I know there are lots of tough thoughts and questions in all of your hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is awful! I'm so sorry! I will be keeping the family, school, and community in my prayers! Sending hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how awful! I will be keeping the family and your community in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so very sorry to hear this. I will be keeping you and your community in my thoughts and prayers.
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  16. i was thinking about you when I saw the news...
    prayers and hugs and kisses sent your way!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just came across your blog through pinterest and am loving it. I did stop however when I saw Prayers Needed. I couldn't imagine losing a student and my heart goes out to you, the family, and school community. God Bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How horrible! You, your school, and the family will be in my prayers.

    Hugs,
    Misty
    @ Teach, Wonder, & Think

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sorry! What a horrible tragedy! I can't imagine how devastated the students must be! You and your school will be in my prayers!
    ☼Kate
    To The Square Inch

    ReplyDelete
  20. We lost two students at our school (one of whom was in my 5th grade class) in a car accident 2 years ago. It is such a tough thing for a school community to go through. Sending tons of prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!