1.17.2012

I have a dream and Humor

That my students would magically listen to me 100% of the time. I guess I can dream it at least because it is never going to happen! 

We did talk about Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream today though in class. It was actually an impromptu lesson that turned out better than I even expected. I have a huge collection of picture books and I knew that I had several on MLK. This morning when I got to school, I picked one out. I ended up choosing March On!
His sister actually wrote this book and it captivated my kids! I was shocked at how closely they were paying attention. 

After we read the book, we then filled out a 3-2-1 foldable. 
Underneath the flaps, they wrote 3 things they learned from reading the book, 2 things that shocked or surprised them, and 1 question that they still had. Tomorrow we are going to share the questions that they still have and see if we can find answers for some of them using our available resources. The bottom part of the page where it says, "I have a dream just like MLK Jr.!", that was the freebie that A Teacher's Treasure shared today with us. This is my lame example, I wish I had taken some pictures of the kids' writing because it was so good.

I had one of those, "You know you teach middle school when" moments today in my 7th period class.I had some students draw the picture below on my board during the last few minutes of advisory. 
I walk in after the tardy bell rang for 7th period and one of my boys is raising his hand. I call on him, and he shares with me, "Miss Klohn, that picture on the board looks like an atomic fart!" I was not too sure what to say to that, and then he continued to explain why to me. That is when the class erupted in laughter. It took a good 10 minutes before we were able to even do anything productive after that little comment. Got to love being a middle school teacher though! 

I am still working on going through all of the links and am hoping to finish that up tomorrow. I also am going to be sharing some more about our reading and writing notebooks tomorrow, so stay tuned!

12 comments:

  1. Love your activities!!
    (and that drawing comment is so funny!)
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 3-2-1 foldable! Why have I never seen this before? I love me some foldables :) I will be making and running off some copies for my science class to have on hand!
    ☼Kate
    To The Square Inch

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the 3-2-1 foldable!! thanks for the new idea :)
    The Teachers’ Cauldron

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol..and yes, I agree withthe kid :) ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so funny! Sometimes you've just gotta laugh with them, right. :) I also LOVE your foldables!!! Do they keep them in a certain notebook...?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the 3-2-1 foldable. I want to start doing more of those. Can't wait to read more about the notebooks. I'm hoping to get my students doing something similar.

    Brittany
    Ms. Green Apple

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comment on my blog! I just adore your blog! I get so much inspiration from all the teacher blogs! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had a great lesson!!! Glad you found use for my writing paper :)

    ❤ Mor Zrihen from...
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love reading your blog! You have such great ideas. This is my first time giving an award, and I would like to give you the sunshine award. You can read my post if you're interested:) Thanks for keeping up a great blog. Tara
    http://oceansofteachingideas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love impromptu laughter in my 8th grade classrooms! If you can't have fun when you teach, you might as well go...open a fish store...I don't know...you get my point:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my stars...we are having LOTS of entertainment through gas-passing and burping in my class lately! I can understand the accidently ones...but...most of them are not! I've been really mature about it too!

    Thank you for sharing your writer's notebook ideas! I am not all that pleased with where ours are at right now so these visuals really spark some ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!