Today was the first day that we did our Daily 5 stations in class and I am so pleased with how it went! I am currently using 5 stations (read to self, read to someone, work on writing, work on words, and meet with the teacher). I will be sharing more about this later this week with you all.
Sorry about the poor quality of pictures, but you've got to love the iPhone! :)
When students are meeting with me this week, we are doing an activity that goes along with out persuasive unit that we are currently doing. We read a short article together about the driving age and whether teenagers should drive at 16 or 18 years old. While reading, we highlighted and marked on it when we found techniques that the author used to try and persuade us.
When we finished, this is what our article looked like.
We did some things on the article like...
Once we finished reading and marking the article, we then worked together to write a persuasive paragraph together using the OREO technique. OREO stands for Opinion, Reason, Explanation, and Opinion. I even had some Oreos that we used for this activity and the students loved eating them! Later this week, students will be responsible for writing their own persuasive paragraphs using the same strategy. The article they will use for that is about bullies.
My librarian actually gave me this article and it was from an old Scholastic Scope magazine. I am really wanting to budget for it next year. Do you use any of the Scholastic magazines in your classroom? There are 3 of them in my opinion that would be great for my 6th graders. If you don't use Scholastic magazines, but use something else, what is it?
We have also been making lots of anchor charts together in class too. Here are the two that we made last week.
Hope everyone has a terrific Tuesday!



Don't cha just love Daily 5!!!! Love your persuasive lesson too:)
ReplyDelete4th Grade Frolics
I love your posters! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThe posters and everything look fantastic, and I applaud you for teaching the parts of words to the students; however, the Greek and Latin chart is a chart of prefixes, not roots.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteAnother great idea. We use old Scholastic News magazines for this, too. But I've never copied them and then wrote on the copies...that would be so much easier.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.
Elizabeth
Fun in Room 4B
The persuasive lesson looks wonderful! Thank you for sharing your ideas!
ReplyDeleteKristen
I'm actually starting Daily 5 Math soon! It should be a different adventure. I loved seeing your stations!
ReplyDeleteKatie!
ReplyDeleteYour lessons are awesome!
And your printing is soooooooooo perfect.
I am definitely going to borrow some of this.
YAY for you!
Kim
Finding JOY in 6th Grade
Great lesson Katie!!! You're an amazing teacher!!!
ReplyDelete❤ Mor Zrihen from...
A Teacher's Treasure
Teaching Treasures Shop
Great lesson! I use Scholastic News 5/6 ALL the time with my 5th graders - love it.
ReplyDeleteI love doing stations, but they are EXHAUSTING for a teacher! I'm glad they went well. I use Scholastic ACTION magazine (lower reading level, higher level interest) for my kids, and they usually love it. Somebody else in my blogosphere uses it too.
ReplyDeleteI used to get Scholastic News my first year teaching, but they are not in our budget anymore! :(
ReplyDeleteI love this lesson! How did you introduce the word roots? Did you do any sort of activity with that? If so I would LOVE to see it!
ReplyDeleteLove the anchor charts and your blog!! Thank you for sharing with us!
ReplyDeleteI love your Persuasive Writing anchor chart!
ReplyDeleteJennifer
Teaching with a Smile
Do you eat OREOs too? What a way to make the lesson really memorable. I just moved to 6th and want to reawaken their love of learning. Love your material.
ReplyDeleteOops, yes you do! :)
DeleteHere is a good age debate resource if you don't use Scholastic (too expensive for me):
ReplyDeletehttp://idebate.org/debatabase/debates/law-crime/house-would-raise-legal-driving-age-18
I love this. I teach 3rd grade, but is never to early :)
ReplyDeleteThis is great! Thank you so much! I teach 7th grade and I do use SCOPE magazine and I truly love it. The website, www.scholastic.com/scope , is full of mini-videos, common core lessons, many paired-text lessons and high-interest articles and readers theater plays. I teach 3 English classes, so I got the Early Bird discount and use only 1 class set for all students. I can post links to the articles on Edmodo for students and this works well.
ReplyDeleteThe projectable articles and all resources are FREE on the website. The only thing you can't get is the Answer keys and they make it hard to print the articles.
I use newsela.com and tween tribune.com for short nonfiction articles and current events! CCSC and critical thinking questions included! Articles and questions can be printed or accessed online.
ReplyDeleteOh, and they are both free!
ReplyDeleteanyone help me for persuasive speech
Deletecan you share a copy of the article?
ReplyDelete