Now that I am integrating CAFE and the Daily 5 in my classroom, I have been searching for a good reading assessment to use with my students. When I was in my undergraduate classes, we took 2 reading courses where we actually worked with a student in an after school program for an entire semester. In this class we used DIBELS to monitor our student's fluency and their growth as they worked with us. I really liked DIBELS because it had a weekly progress monitoring that we were able to give our student. However, this is not geared towards my 6th graders at all. If I remember correctly, it only went up to 3rd grade.
I have also had previous experience with the DRA while doing observations and subbing at the elementary level. I really like this assessment because it not only has students read aloud, but they also read silently, and there is then comprehension questions that follow as well. I also like that this assessment provides you with a reading level that can be transferred to a grade equivalent. Since we do not use AR at my school, I would at least love to have this ball park number to help with my grouping and instruction that takes place in my classroom. I was looking on the Pearson website, who is the company that publishes the DRA kit, and I was excited to see that they have a 4-8 kit. Have any of you all ever used the 4-8 kit? You can find more out about it here. I am pretty sure that I am going to go ahead and budget for it though. :)
I was also so excited to discover that The Sisters are going to be in San Antonio doing workshops on The Daily 5 and CAFE in April. I already emailed my principal to see if I can go. I would love this opportunity since not many people in my district even know what it is . You can find out all of the places that the Sisters are going in 2012 by clicking here. Have you ever seen them present? I know that it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity and I have a feeling that I would walk away with so much knowledge that will help me to implement both things in my classroom even better.
I mentioned last week about wanting to do a linky party where we all share what it is like on a daily basis in our own classrooms. I know that I personally love finding out how others spend their time during the day. It might even provide you with a new idea for your own classroom.
Here is how it will work. On Friday, January 13th, you will get to write a post that it is completely dedicated to telling others what a day is like in your shoes. You can share as much or as little as you would like. I will have the post go live early that morning and all you will have to do is link up. In the mean time, feel free to copy and paste the picture and tell others about the linky party by blogging about it! I hope you are as excited about this as I am!




ooooooooo I like this linky!! Who am I kidding, I love all linkies! :) We DIBEL up to grade 6 at my school but it is only the lowest readers by this grade level. DIBELS is great to check fluency and comprehension but it ends up being a major hassle to test them weekly. We have someone whose only job is to pull small groups and test students because it's so much.
ReplyDeleteSuper cool ideal for a linky party! I will totally be participating!!
ReplyDeleteKate
To The Square Inch
Yey for a linky!!! so many times I wish my hubby can walk a day in my shoes to see what it's like! Looking forward to linking up!
ReplyDelete❤ Mor Zrihen from...
A Teacher's Treasure
Teaching Treasures Shop
We use the DRA2 from grades K-6. The 4-8 pack is what we use in Grade 6. I love it because it gives the teachers diagnostic information to help them drive their instruction. Although I'm no longer in the classroom, I see my teachers using the DRA2 information on a daily basis. It's definitely worth the money and the work involved in it.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
Michelle @ Life with Mrs. Ecky
I taught reading to 5th graders. We used Fountas and Pinnell reading assessemets 3 times a year. This was good to see growth. I have also done DIBELS, but my district only uses it in the primary level. I suppose if you wanted to use something to look at a few students every week, you could create your own type of literacy assessment checklist. Maybe something that alligns with your state standards or even from their report card.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
Hey Katie! I am looking into going to that workshop too. That would be so fun if we could go together. I just emailed my principal and will let you know what she says.
ReplyDeleteLindsay
My Life as a Fifth Grade Teacher
We use "Benchmarks" by Fountas and Pinnell.
ReplyDeletePS - Reading your blog has given to the extra kick I need to purchase the Daily 5/Cafe books that I've been eyeing for a while. I will also be trying to implement the teaching of the Sisters into a middle school classroom! I'm so jealous you get to go to one of their workshops. I'm holding out that they will make a Northeast tour!
Brittany
Ms. Green Apple
I teach 4th and we do not do the DRA2 because it is SO time consuming. Our district adopted the Gates McGinitie reading assessment this year. We did STAR in the past, but it was not at all reliable. I am a HUGE proponent for Daily 5 & CAFE and have blogged about it a lot! I haven't seen the Sisters yet, but I've always wanted to. I'm so glad I found your blog!
ReplyDeleteRachel
Go Fourth! With Mrs. Owens