12.07.2011

Our Reader's Notebooks

Today we had a 6th grade Language Arts teacher planning day. I was really excited about it, but I am bummed at the lack of things we actually got planned today altogether. I wish I could have just had a whole day to plan alone because I know I could have at least gotten a 6 weeks taken care of. I was actually excited to dive into the C-SCOPE materials because I have really struggled with not having a real scope and sequence to use this year. Well, I know what I am going to be doing over the Christmas break! 

I know that I have blogged about our reader's notebooks a few other times, but I just love them. I am so glad that I decided to bite the bullet and get lots of spiral notebooks when they were on sale during back to school time. It was such a good investment! The learning that has taken place in our notebooks is just amazing!!! I think I am going to ask my students to all bring a composition book for the spring semester because they just hold up so much better. Here is a picture tour of some of the things we have been doing in our notebooks lately. 

Sorry for the bad quality, they are from the phone. For some reason, I also cannot get the ones to rotate correctly in blogger. :(







28 comments:

  1. Hi Katie!

    Love, Love, LOVE this.
    (And your printing is incredible)
    I am so impressed... You've motivated me to get back to notebooking!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! You make teaching 6th grade way less intimidating for me!! I want to see more!!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! It makes me miss teaching big kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This look so much nicer that my classes version! :) I like how you put foldables in yours, I've never done that, but I definitely need to try it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooo...I am bookmarking this to come back over vacation. I need to amp up our reader's notebooks. Thanks for sharing, I always love to see photos! Happy holidays Katie :)
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how I missed this post!!!! Just saw it on Pinterest and jumped right over! Love it!!

    Happy Holidays!

    ❤ Mor Zrihen ❤
    A Teacher's Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your examples that you have shown. Do you have blacklines for them?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found this and you through a pin on Pinterest!! I'm your newest follower:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also found you through a pin. I teach grade 2/3 but I love your ideas and am figuring out a way to modify them for my little guys

    I am a new follower, too!

    Teach~Play~Smile

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you find that these glued-in papers stay in place? I'm frustrated with the quality of glue sticks this year, especially when my students' papers appear to never stay in place. What do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan!

      I have had good luck with them staying glued in until recently. Glue Sticks are hit and miss. The Elmer's ones have worked great for my notebooks, but I have a bunch of Rose Art ones right now and they just do not cut it. Regular bottled glue works great too, but you have to make sure and train the kids that just a dot will do. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  11. These are wonderful!! Do you include vocabulary in this notebook or is it strictly for comprehension uses?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I teach 6th grade also and am new to notebooking. Love your examples! Do you make most of your own templates to fit your needs?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am currently setting up a reader's notebook for my students and found your site - -gotta love Pinterest! Your ideas are wonderFULL and I intend to use them in my FULL classroom. Thanks for sharing! ~Mrs. FULL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are the foldables available in your store on Teacher's Notebook? I didn't see them...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where can I find the templates you used?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! Thank you so very much!

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  18. After seeing your foldables in your reading notebooks, I had my students made their first foldables in their social studies notebooks yesterday. Thank you for the idea. Now, for your reading notebooks, what are some of the other topics, foldables, etc. that you add? This is a great spring board, but I am so curious for you to tell me more. As always, you inspire me. Thanks!

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are great! I will definitely be borrowing your ideas for my reading journals this year!

    myclassroomismyrunway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. These fordable creations are a great idea to keep within your students notebooks! Do you create them as a class and then gradually have them complete them on their own? Love the ideas!

    http://teachingtrainingandtots.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. These foldables are great...are you selling the blacklines on TPT?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi,

    I would love to purchase your fordable blacklines if possible! Love your site!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am also interested in some of your blackline masters, especially the author's purpose information. Do you have it posted anywhere? I have the foldables books, just never sure when/where to apply them. Thank you for your suggestions!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would love to download these. Do you have anything I could buy or download?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm recreating some of your fabulous ideas! Can you share the 's' part of pies for author's purpose? Thank you!! nangel1023@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!