As of 1:30pm today, I have officially completed my first full semester of teaching in my own classroom! Boy, does that feel good! I thought in honor of my first semester of teaching when I got paid, I would share my 10 favorite moments or things that happened to me.
{ten} This kid. There is always that one kid that just drives you crazy, but you cannot get enough of them. Well, this is him. No matter what kind of day I have had, he can always manage to put a smile on my face.
{nine} Even though it is only my first year, I was nominated for an HEB Excellence in Education Award. I wish they told you who nominated you because I would love to thank them. Even though I am not going to go on with the process (there is a ton of paperwork with it) I am very honored that someone nominated me for this.
{eight} I have successfully created a classroom website that my parents and students are able to access for information about what is going on as well as links to games and other learning activities.
{seven} I had the guts to give the Pep Talk at a Pep Rally and even wrote a song for the occasion.
{six} I have developed an amazing classroom library that my students love to get books from!
{five} I experienced a bus door falling off on our first field trip of the year.
{four} I opened my Teacher's Notebook shop and have been amazed that other teacher's are willing to buy some of the products I have created. I never thought that others might be interested in that.
{three} I have made some amazing new friends. Some of these are my co-workers and others are because of blogging. No matter if they are IRL friends or virtual friends, they have played such an important role in my first semester of teaching. You all are always there for me and are willing to listen to whatever might be on my mind.
{two} I have been able to integrate lots of technology into my classroom and the experiences that my students have had thus far. We have used blogs, websites, wikis, online databases, powerpoint, animoto, and Prezi. We are becoming computer whizzes!
{one} I get to do something that I love each and every day! I love seeing my student's faces light up when they finally get it or realize that they understand something. I look at teaching as an opportunity to help build a foundation of learning for the future leaders of our country. I am grateful that I can go to my job each day and come home and still say that I love what I do!
The first semester was a great one, and I can only imagine that the second semester will be just as great!




Yey Katie!!! So many wonderful accomplishments!!!! How exciting! You're a wonderful teacher! I wish you a wonderful second half of the year. In the mean time REST!!!! You need to recharge :)
ReplyDeleteHappy Holidays!
❤ Mor Zrihen ❤
A Teacher's Treasure
That is awesome that your were nominated for the HEB Excellence in Education award! Congrats! A teacher at my school actually won that award last year! :)
ReplyDeleteWay to go, Katie! I love the idea of looking back. I still think it's funny that the bus door blew off.
ReplyDeleteLindsay
My Life as a Fifth Grade Teacher
(Check out who figured out how to hyperlink her blog!!!)
Good job Katie! :)
ReplyDeleteI love reading your blog because I want to get into middle school teaching someday and you make me want to do so even sooner!
Hi Katie:
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your 2011 accomplishments! And you still have half a year to go!!
I can't believe you lost a bus door. Good that you already got that one out of the way!
I love to visit and borrow from your blog. And I love having a sixth grade "partner," because I am the only sixth grade teacher at my school.
Wishing you a "second half" of happiness and even more successess,
Kim
Finding JOY in 6th Grade
I just saw your comment! I haven't finalized anything with Farley yet, but I would LOVE you to come!!!
ReplyDeleteI will let you know what we decide. For sure not before Christmas.
:)
Reagan
Thanks for sharing! I love reading your blog because after much time in grades K-4, teaching Art a year, and adults working toward GED 3 years, I think the time is fast approaching for me to move on up! Sixth grade sounds wonderful. That you share such wonderful stories from your vantage point makes me want to move soon! :)
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas!
Melly<><
Stapler’s Strategies for Sizzlin' Second Graders!