8.27.2012

Wonderful

Today was absolutely wonderful. Maybe it was due to the fact that I did not have the nerves of a first year teacher, or possibly just because I knew how great this group of kids was going to be. If today is any sort of indication of what the school year is going to be like, I am going to be one happy teacher! 

One way you can tell that it is the first day of school is the amount of school supplies that occupy your room.
 The sad part is that I actually will end up with at least twice the amount of tissues that are pictured because at least half of my kids did not even bring their supplies today. Unfortunately, on my campus the ELA teachers are supposed to house the tissues for the entire grade level, but too bad I do not have anywhere to put all of them. You can bet I will be passing these out to the others rather quickly. 

After we got all of our housekeeping things take care of in my classroom, I knew that I wanted to do an activity that I saw earlier this summer over at Dandelions and Dragonflies. I think it was a big hit and I was able to learn a lot about my 6th graders. We did go through 600+ sticky notes today though. 






I am pretty sure this is going to be my go-to BTS activity from now on. 

How was your first day of school?

11 comments:

  1. I am glad that you had a wonderful first day! Mine is tomorrow and after twenty years I still get a little nervous. I can'e believe how many tissues you collected!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you have a great group of kiddos and had a wonderful first day. I love your back to school activity....just might have to borrow that for next year.

    Lisa
    Super Pig and Tyrant King

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your back to school activity! I am doing the same thing next week with my ELA kiddos! I'm sure you learned a lot about them!

    Jessica
    Fabulous and Fun 4th Graders

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw these activities on Pinterest. I can't wait till I have my own class and do them. What kind of answers did the kids give?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these activities! I'm filing this away to use. Thanks for sharing!

    Tales of a Fifth Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found this on Pinterest and did it with my 6th graders on my second day of school. It went very well. I did this first then transitioned into my rules/respect activity that I do every year.

    Justin Greene
    inthegreeneroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did those activities with my 6th graders too last week! It went over great! We also made up our own classroom rules! Check them out at {6th} Grade All-Stars

    Mrs. Crouse

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to do this to celebrate the first MONTH of school. YES! We will have been in one month next week. What a fun way to celebrate that milestone. Thanks for all your hints. -Mo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used this idea on Friday but with character counts (trustworthiness, respect, etc.) and my students loved it! This was more engaging then discussing how to use these traits in school. My students enjoyed moving to place post its on the paper. Thanks for the idea!

    Teachingtrainingandtots.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad that you had a great first day! The 27th was my first day too and I'm finally getting around to blogging and catching up!

    Adventures of a Third Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! Going to try this tomorrow :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!