8.06.2012

Whole Brain Teaching

I have seen a lot of buzz about this lately and am absolutely loving it! I have always been a firm believer in allowing students to talk with classmates and using gestures to help them remember what we are learning. After doing lots of research this summer, I am excited to say that I will officially be implementing Whole Brain Teaching (WBT) in my classroom this school year. 

Have you or will you be using Whole Brain Teaching within your classroom? If you have used it before, what is your favorite component of it? What advice would you give a newbie who will be implementing it in their own classroom?

There are some really great videos out on Youtube with examples of WBT in action. Here are a few of my favorites that I have come across this summer:




11 comments:

  1. I too have been doing lots of research on Whole Brain Teaching! I love the 6th grade video....haven't seen one that wasn't primary. I think the hardest part will be training myself to using all of the chants and the scoreboard!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started using this last year with my fourth graders. It was great! They loved everything about it. I am going to try to focus on the behavior rewards part of this this year..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious to know if other middle school teachers see this working in their classrooms. I love that all students are engaged, and I love the "Teach!" part, but I feel like my students would feel like it's very elementary if I tried to do this all the time. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm moving to 6th grade this year and plan to use Whole Brain Teaching, as well! These videos are great examples! I've been trying to use http://www.wholebrainteaching.com but its a little glitchy today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for donating to my 100 follower giveaway!! Go check it out!

    Mrs. Crouse @ {6th} Grade All-Stars

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girl! Love the videos. Really powerful. Too bad I teach in open concept. We could never make that much noise.

    I am having my first ever linky party and would love for you to come help a bloggy friend out!!!

    Lindsay
    My Life as a Third Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been reading about WBT and and look forward to giving it a try in my fifth grade classroom this year! I can't wait to see how it goes. I'll be back to visit your blog to see how it is working in your classroom too!

    Your newest follower,

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing! Is there a book that you would recommend on this? BTW-While I was watching these videos, my 5 yr old son was sitting with me. I could not believe how he paid attention and caught on to what was going on so quickly! He is very much ADHD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will be doing some more research on WBT, but I have heard wonderful things thus far. Keep us posted!

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the videos. I've been researching WBT too and it REALLY helps to see it in action. Thanks for sharing! Let us know how it goes in your classroom.
    I am your newest follower by the way. Love your blog! :)
    http://lattesnlaughter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was trained by Chris Biffle on Power Teaching about 9 years ago and tried it in my 7th grade grade classroom for a full year. I have a love/hate relationship with it. Loved: keeping the kids engaged, all of the recipical teaching / call and response, the energy. Hated: not being able to establish a reward system for the points that Power Teaching uses (that would be allowed by my school/district), the energy needed to substain (I would come home each day dead to the world), and having my neighboring teacher poke her head in our room every single day asking us to keep it down. I've considered going back to it, but I haven't figured out how to make it work for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!