5.14.2011

13 days

That is all that remains in this school year. It is hard to believe that it is almost over. The past 2 months have flown by! 

I have been amazed at how done my kids have been. It is like pulling teeth to get them to do something in class for me. The other teachers have been telling me that this group of 6th graders we have right now is the most difficult one they have had in years and they are like that in every class. It is hard though when some of the other teachers always seem to be showing movies, and I am actually still attempting to get some instruction done. It is just so great when the kids walk into my classroom asking if we are watching a movie today! I think I am going to start a writing project with them in the middle of the week...any suggestions on a fun topic or writing idea?

This past week I also completely redid my library in my room, and I love how it turned out! The kids are already so much more excited about it and they cannot wait for my Scholastic order to come in on Monday. I promise to take pictures once I get the last of the bins finished this week and then share them with you all. 

This week I found out what I am going to be teaching this coming school year. I am going to have 2 Pre AP classes and 1 regular class just like I have this year. I really have enjoyed the Pre AP kids, but it is nice to have a regular class too to help me differentiate my instruction for the higher kids. This also means though that I am going to have to take a 30 hour GT class this summer. Luckily, I am going to be able to do this online and will not have to travel to a workshop for a week.

The joys of being a first year teacher I have discovered also includes getting many duties put on you that others do not want to do. I am officially the assistant cheer/spirit squad sponsor for this coming school year. I am actually excited about it because I think that it will be lots of fun, but I am not looking forward to the mama drama which I know will happen. Matter of fact, I have one of the cheerleaders in my class right now and she is a little bit of a bully. There has been a problem that has now escalated into me having to write an office referral for her and she could potentially lose her spot on the squad. Hopefully this will really enlighten her and her behavior will change. 

I will be back this coming week with some pictures and sharing a novel study with you all for Tuck Everlasting.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you classes for next year are very exciting! :)

    I think being the teacher in charge of cheerleading would be pretty cool actually, aside from, yes, the drama that accompanies it. I hope your potential problem student sorts herself out.

    I'm really enjoying reading about your experiences since I am only a few steps behind you in my beginning teacher journey! ARGH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 14 days left!! I am SO ready for Summer!! I remember when I was in 7th grade my English teacher was the Cheerleader sponsor and I always thought, "when I am teacher I want to be the cheerleader sponsor!" I really looked up to her!! Well since I am elementary teacher we don't have cheerleaders but it's something I always wanted to do!! I guess I can live vicariously through you!!

    Enjoy your last few weeks!! It won't be long now!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!