5.19.2011

Next School Year

Yes, I am crazy and am already thinking about next school year. I have been moving things around in my classroom, transforming my library (pictures this weekend), and getting things ready for the beginning of the school year. 

I am so excited for it to really feel like my classroom with my procedures and rules. I really think that is going to make a huge difference with discipline. That is one thing I have somewhat struggled with these past 2 months because it is more difficult to have something visual for the kids to see for their behavior. I would love to have a clip stick or something in my room, but I know 6th graders would not be about that one bit. What I have been thinking about doing is some sort of class behavior chart where they can earn rewards like outside time, a movie, a special treat, etc.

One thing I have been working on is my letter to parents and students at the beginning of the year. What sort of things do you include in your letter? Do you have one for students and another for parents? I already know that I plan on having a weekly update for them to keep the communication lines open, but what other things for communication do you suggest?

Our principal also asked me to be on a Grading Policy Committee that she just formed so that we can streamline some on the campus because grading policies are everywhere. What is yours like? What about your late work policy and retesting? If you do not mind sharing, I would love to see what you do. You can email me at k.e.klohn@gmail.com

Only 7.5 more days with students!!!

1 comment:

  1. When I was still subbing, one middle school I was at had tickets they used for good behavior. Kiddos earned tickets for doing good things (100% homework, helping out without being asked, etc) and they could save them up for things. The 6th grade teachers also had kids save them for a "success celebration" at the end of each 9 weeks. I was there for one once and it was really kind of fun. The kiddos had to have X number of tickets to be able to go to the celebration. You could adapt it however you wanted without having to do a clipchart or whatever that might seem kind of babyish to them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!