We got our TAKS results back on Monday and overall I was very pleased with how my classes did. Overall I had 92% pass the Reading portion of the test. I had a total of 5 student not meet standards out of 58 kids. As a grade level though we were only at 80% which I was very shocked about. I really think we should have been higher. However, our math scores were horrible, so bad I am not even sharing them. I am just so glad that I am not a math teacher at this point because I am pretty sure their butts are going to be on the line.
I wonder if I could have had 100% pass the TAKS had I been with them at least this entire semester. I really only had 3 weeks with them before the test. I have already decided that for next year I want to be at at least 95% pass. What are some strategies that you use with your kids on their reading tests?
Also, be on the lookout for some picture of my room. I have got a lot done this week and am loving how it is turning out!!!



I am a big fan of using Question-Answer-Relationships (QAR). Once the kids understand the types of questions they are asked and how to look for the answers back in the text, I find they do much much better.
ReplyDeleteI think the key thing to do with students is having them know why they think and answer choice is correct or is not correct. If they can reason why something is right or wrong then they are critically thinking about the questions and the passage. Also text evidence that supports their answers!! I think that is KEY!!
ReplyDeleteNext year we will have STAAR which they say will require a lot more critical thinking. I personally think if we teach kids to READ and think critically when reading then this will help them when taking the test! I believe it's important to teach READING strategies instead of TEST taking strategies!!
I could go on and on!! it's a big part of my job a literacy coach. Congrats on the 92% thats Great!
hey girlie thanks so much for the votes on FB I use the Lucky 7 strategies and I have gotten 100% for the last 5 years in the reading and our entire 3rd grade has had 100% for the last 2 years :) if you want more details let me know.... my girlfriends and I came up with it and we are doing professional development on it this Aug. email me and I will clue you in!!!
ReplyDelete