I have my first sub coming on Thursday because we are having a Language Arts teacher planning day. I am excited to get to finally talk with the other LA teachers and also plan for the rest of year, but I am nervous about having a sub too. The poor sub is going to think I am crazy with the sub plans that I left, but I wanted to make sure that they did not have any questions.
Yes, it might have been 3 pages long, and yes I might have written way more that I need to, but that is okay with me. I am sure you all have been in the same boat before, and left way too detailed plans for the sub. What kinds of notes do you like to leave for your sub? Do you have a notebook for them that has important information about the class and such in it?
Do you have a form that you leave for them to fill out about the day? My new mentor teacher sent me a rubric that she used to leave for the sub to grade the class.
I am nervous, but I know the day will turn out just fine. I just hope that my kiddos are on their best behavior.



I'm a sub and I'll tell you, unless I'm in a class I'm really use to (like today) I'd rather have a novel for plans than just "here is a movie, have a nice day" It's always better to be overprepared!
ReplyDeleteIf it makes you feel better, this is my 5th year teaching and I STILL leave 3-page sub plans! Mostly because we don't always get the best subs in our district so I know I have to be SUPER prepared and leave the most detailed instructions (that way if the sub is horrid, it can't be blamed on me for lack of plans).
ReplyDeleteWhen I was a sub, I always appreciated it when teachers went out of their way to leave me super detailed plans also, that way I knew exactly how and why they wanted things done a certain way. I'm fairly certain it's one reason I got called back for jobs so often.
I am also a sub and really appreciate detailed plans. I recently found out I was going to be subbing for a friend. She asked me if I wanted a lot of worksheets or if I was ok with full lessons. I told her I was fine with lessons as long as her lesson plans were detailed. Be sure to leave details about your classroom management plan.
ReplyDeleteDetailed lessons are a godsend for a sub! It's MUCH better to have more work than not enough, and the more we know about the way YOU do things, the better j ob we can do at enforcing your normal routines! :) Sorry to hear you ended up having a bad experience with your sub!
ReplyDeletemakinmartinezmemories.blogspot.com