Today was my first official teaching day in the classroom. My first subject that I am taking over is Science and today's lesson was on shadows and what causes them to happen on earth. Since the district has C-Scope, which I am not a big fan of, for Science, the 4th grade team has pretty much dissected it and created power points for each lesson in the units that are being covered. It is really great since C-Scope does not really have any text support with it. Does your district use C-Scope? The district where I am student teaching is also adding it for math in the fall which should be interesting. We have been using Sharon Wells which I really like even though it is all worksheets.
I started my planning for next weeks Language Arts today and I am really getting excited about doing the centers approach with the kids. I think that it is going to be helpful in meeting the educational needs of all the students in the class since they are all so different from one another. I am going to be responsible for the grammar lessons next week which are going to be on quotation marks. That has been the focus for this week, but they kids have struggled with it thus far. Do any of you all have any suggestions for teaching quotations? I have found a few really good websites, but want to find or create a game of some sort too for them to play.
One last question, what do you give your kiddos for Valentine's day? I found a memory Valentine's game at Target over the weekend and the cards are so cute. I think I am going to just make a label and stick it on the back of the cards and they will become my cards to the kids. Do you usually give them a little treat too?
Leslie also sent me a preview of my header last night and I love it! I cannot wait to share it with all of you!



I'm so glad things are going well for you honey!
ReplyDeleteAwesome!!
ReplyDeleteI am giving the kids a little sack (sewed with love) with HUGS & KISSES with a ribbon tied around with a little note! I am also giving everyone a bear bookmark! Can't wait to see what you come up with~
Claire
missknightskhronicles.blogspot.com
I gave my kiddos little treat bags with some play-dough, erasers and some candy.
ReplyDeleteFor your quotations lesson, you could tie it in with a Valentine's writing activity. Pass out some candy hearts (the ones with the sayings on them) and have the kids write a story. They could use the sayings from the hearts as quotes in their story. For example... I woke up this morning and got dressed for school. I gave my mom a big hug and she said, "You are sweet".
I hope that makes sense. I love using the candy hearts with lessons during Valentine's week!!! The kids love it too, and even get to eat the candy when they are finished with their writing!
Good for you~!
ReplyDeleteI usually give my kids pencils with a card! My Kindergarteners LOVE pencils!
CSCOPE is a pain to learn in the beginning, but it is so nice to have as a resource! This is my 2nd year to use it, and I loved the Science piece from last year. Trust me, once all of the kinks are worked out with the Science TEKS and once the lessons are all there in one place, it will make so much more sense. That's what ELA was like last year. It gets better!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you're getting off to such a great start! You're an awesome teacher!
Hi, I am currently student teaching. I begin my second rotation with 6th graders on Monday and I have to admit I am a little nervous. Do you have any ideas about behavior management? With the younger students I would always pass out gold coins then students would earn a reward, such as pencil or sticker but with 6th graders I feel I may have to use a different strategy.
ReplyDeleteI would greatly appreciate any ideas!!!
jnorris@oswego.edu