I have pretty much known ever since I was a 3rd grader that I wanted to be a teacher when I grew up. Luckily, that dream was able to come true. I think part of the reason that I wanted to become a teacher was because of the amazing teachers that I had while I was growing up. I actually have loved my teachers so much that I am pretty sure that I could name a few of my favorites from every year. I too hope that I can be that teacher in the eyes of at least some of my students.
While I was in high school, I was blessed with the opportunity to be an elementary teacher aide. By that time, I already knew I wanted to be a teacher. I was blessed enough to be placed with my high school volleyball coach's wife and loved every minute of it. I actually loved it so much that I took the class twice and was with her again my Senior Year of high school. Up until this point, I was really thinking that I possibly wanted to teach at the high school level and coach. However, I remember this moment so well. It was the second semester of my senior year, and I was working with a guided reading group. I just remember getting this overwhelming feeling that I was supposed to be an elementary teacher. I knew then that I had to make my concentration Early Childhood-6th Grade once I got to college.
While I was in college I was lucky enough to continue to volunteer in this same classroom as well as sub in PK-8th grade classrooms within the district. I loved the opportunity to work in many different classrooms and to observe children of all different ages. To this day, I still believe that subbing while I was in college was one of the best things that I could have done.
When I student taught I ended up in a 4th grade classroom and loved it! It was such a pleasant surprise because I was not sure how it would be. You see, I had always pictured myself in a 1st or 2nd grade classroom. I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed about being in 4th. I do think it was a total God thing though because it ended up being amazing. I was a little shocked though when the middle school principal called the elementary school and asked if I could take over a 6th grade class in the middle of my student teaching. After some thinking, I decided to do it. I was the person that said I would never teach middle school, and there I was doing it. That experience ended up getting me my first job teaching 6th grade Language Arts. I am currently finishing my 2nd year teaching 6th grade.
Now you see, my dream has always been to teach at the elementary level, but 6th grade is what fell into my lap. During my first two years I have learned so much! I would not trade this experience for anything. However, it is time to follow my heart and my lifelong dream.
I am so excited because I am going to be teaching 1st Grade in the fall! That's right...1st grade!!! I have known for a week now, but it still has not set it because I cannot believe that it is really happening! My heart is just so happy and I cannot wait for the fall to get here!
You are probably wondering what is going to happen to this little 'ole blog. Well, I am happy to say that it is going nowhere! It will have a new name and a new look, but all of the content is staying! Hopefully some of you all will join me as I begin a new adventure with a class full of firsties!



CONGRATS!! I did the opposite of you. Ten years ago, I started in first grade (and stayed (or was stuck!) there for 3 years. It took me some time to finally work up to middle school, which is where *I* belong. Good luck on your new adventure next year! One thing about first graders.. they love you openly and sincerely!!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, this is so exciting!!! Congrats Katie! I know you've been wanting this for a long time!
ReplyDeleteThat is going to be quite a jump. You sound absolutely delighted. Congrats! Cannot wait to hear what your plans are for your future firsties.
ReplyDeleteEmmy xx
Daydreams with Miss D
You will be missed, my dear friend. But to know you are happy, just right up the road, and will be on the same campus with my babies gives me great comfort. It's good to know that there will be a loving, passionate, talented teacher on the elementary campus who has experienced, first- hand, where they are headed. It will only make you a better teacher.
ReplyDeleteCongrats!
Congrats! I taught first for 13 years! I LOVED it!!!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to read about your adventures!
Elizabeth
Hodges Herald
Yay! I follow you on Pinterest and after you said last week that something was changing, you started pinning a ton of first grade stuff. I figured that's what was happening! Awesome! :)
ReplyDeleteWow, congratulations! So I lose another upper grade blog buddy :p
ReplyDeleteWOW!! Congrats I am so happy for you!!
ReplyDeleteMisty
Think, Wonder, & Teach
As a fellow 6th grade language arts teacher, I will miss reading your relevant and helpful (to my area) posts, but congratulations!!! You must be over the moon thrilled! Even though I don't teach first grade, I look forward to seeing your new blog layout! =)
ReplyDeleteI was wondering if I was missing something because of all the early elementary stuff you've been pinning! Ha! I'm happy for you that you'll be following your heart, and I hope it's everything you want it to be and more!
ReplyDeleteI made a very similar move this year - I went from 7th grade math down to 3rd grade and I have loved every minute of it! Congrats!
ReplyDeleteWow! What a major change- but I bet you will LOVE it! :) I can't wait to follow your new adventures. I hope it's all that you were hoping for!
ReplyDeleteJenny
Luckeyfrog's Lilypad
I'm a first-time commenter and I want to congratulate you on what sounds like an awesome opportunity! I'm sure it will be quite a change... even when I changed from teaching only 9th grade English to teaching 9th and 10th grade, it was a major change! I can't imagine the leap you are taking. Best of luck! I look forward to seeing what you come up with for your little ones!
ReplyDeleteStephanie
www.eatwriteteach.com
After reading your blog and many others that have had some pretty major insight about teaching lately, I decided to host a linky party over at Eat.Write.Teach. The purpose is to blog about your top ten reasons for being a teacher! I'd love to see some insight from an elementary school teacher! If you are interested in joining in, here's the link. :)
Deletehttp://www.eatwriteteach.com/2013/04/and-this-is-why-you-should-be-teacher.html
So happy for your Katie! I did my student teaching in first grade, and those little ones sure are cute. I will for sure miss your fabulous upper el ideas, but I guess I can visit and see all of the fun things you're doing with your little ones. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :) Have so much fun planning for your new class!
ReplyDeleteYoung Teacher Love 5th Grade Blog
Awwwww.....I taught K for 6 years-they are precious, innocent, and so excited so I'm sure 1st graders will be similar. CONGRATS on your dream coming true. Mine came true when I came OUT of K. LOL!
ReplyDeleteShannon
http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com
Congrats!! I am a fifth grade teacher but I started out in first. I love both grade for different special reasons! I am sure you will find that you love first grade too!
ReplyDeleteCreating Lifelong Learners
Congratulations! I'm moving from 6th to 4th & 5th ELA/SS next year. I'll miss 6th grade, but I know I'll love the youngers ones too!
ReplyDeleteWOW Congratulations! I just found your blog through HBBD, they designed my blog too. I'm your newest follower!
ReplyDelete✿Sue✿
✿Science for Kids Blog✿
congratulations! Most of my 18 years of teaching has been in 1st grade. The 1st quarter is the hardest...I go home exhausted every day and I think some weeks I have more tears than the kids...but then the rest of the year is a joy! They will think you are the best artist, the best teacher, the best singer, and every joke you make is so very funny! Can't wait to see how your blog evolves! There are lots of us 1st grade teachers out there happy to help you along :)
ReplyDelete