I am linking up with Kacey for another edition of Five for Friday, but on Saturday instead. :)
One. I survived our state testing this past week. My 6th graders tested on Tuesday and Wednesday. I feel pretty good about how my kids did and have been so pleased with all of their hard work these past few weeks as we did some serious test prep.We took a brain break and we watched Holes on Thursday and Friday. This is one of my absolute favorite movies of all time!
Two. I joined the Cricket Crunch Club yesterday at school!
My friend Shayna from Science Teaching Junkie teaches 8th grade Science at my school. She recently went to the NSTA conference in San Antonio and at one of the booths they were doing taste testing of crickets. She got the recipe and made some for her kids on Friday. Of course I had to try one, so I went by her room on Friday and ate a cricket!!! It was crunchy and tasted like a sunflower seed in my opinion.
Three. This coming Friday we have field day for our 6th graders and this is one of my favorite days of the year! We have a full on track meet for our 6th graders! All I know is that my class better win!
Four. Only 30 more days of school which includes our teacher inservice day after the students get out. Is it just me, or has this year flown by? I think it may have something to do with the fact that I am teaching 105 students and they keep me on my toes. :)
Five. Many of you all know that I will be teaching 1st grade in the fall...what are some must haves that I need to make sure that I have? I have a very large selection of picture books already, but what sort of manipulatives would you suggest? Also, where do you all find your big books from? I would love to hear your suggestions!




I teach 4th grade so I am sure that most of the manipulatives I have are totally different than first grade. Most of mine have been provided by my school as well. BUT, I ordered pattern blocks for my son from a website called Discount School Supply. You might want to check there!
ReplyDeleteWOW...the Cricket Crunch Club, I'm impressed! :)
ReplyDeleteCreating Lifelong Learners
OH MY GOSH 1st grade is the BEST!!! :) We use our counting cubes/connecting cubes ALOT, as well as pocket charts. They are in the Target Dollar Spot alot! They are little, usually, but they work. :) I have two big ones that I use for everything. We use pointers alot, and fun reading glasses! My school has provided my big books for me, but lots of the big Teacher Supply Stores have them. Are you going to have a Document Camera? This can make any book a big book! :) Just display it and your friends can follow along.
ReplyDeleteCounters that are two-sided two colors are great for math. I have done a math notebook this year so you will need some spiral notebooks. Our reading series came with big books so check out yours. But, first graders love animals so its great to do lots of science with them. My students love non-fiction the best! I would suggest going to public library to get books rather than investing in case you switch grades again.
ReplyDeleteNibble With Numbers is a great resource for extra math games:)
I am not a first grade teacher, but if I were I would start collecting books electronically instead of in big book format. This is assuming, of course, that you have a projector in your classroom. Reading a book aloud while it is being projected onto a screen makes it possible for everyone to see the entire time you are reading it. I did it once with my eighth graders and they were captivated. Plus, then you don't have a bunch of bulky books to store.
ReplyDelete