Today was our first official day of book clubs, and I was so pleased with how they went. We had spent the past few school days setting expectations and discussing procedures for the book clubs. The hardest part for me was actually assigning the books. We laid out all of the choices last week and the students then listed their top five choices on their choice sheet. I was pretty pleased because I only had to place a few students in a group that did not contain a book they selected.
The highlight though was definitely getting out the iPads for my students to use while they read their book club books. They were so excited! I ordered some Belkin Rock Stars from Amazon so I can plug up to 5 headphones into the iPad. They worked great! Here is a picture of one of my groups that is reading Trouble Maker by Andrew Clements. They made my day when they were listening and all of a sudden I hear a chuckle out of them!
As I am looking on iTunes for more audio books, I am discovering that some of the titles are not there. Where do you find audio books for your classroom? I am open to using other resources.
I promise to keep blogging about our classroom journey with book clubs!




Hey there Katie. Wow, I am SO glad you found me! I'm currently on spring break and planning for my literature circles later this month, which looks to be like your book clubs. I'm wondering.. what were your choices for 6th grade and how are you assessing the students progress? I have a tough time "letting go" of the control but I absolutely LOVE when I see how the students are forced to take control of their own learning and become more active participants while doing book clubs.
ReplyDeleteAudio books - I subscribe to audible.com and get my audiobooks there. I listen ALL the time to keep up with what my students are reading, so I get 2 credits (2 books) per month for $22. There's a 1 book/month option for $15, or you can just buy the book outright. I have discovered that if any audiobook EXISTS, it is on Audible - which is an Amazon company. iTunes is very limited in what they offer. With audible, you can stream with the app or download into iTunes.
I plan to post later this month about my lit circles, but here are the books that 6th grade chose from: Number the Stars, If a Tree Falls at Lunch Period (my favorite!), The Cat Ate My Gymsuit, Life as a Book, Bridge to Terabithia,Titanic: Unsinkable, Rules. Three of those books have been dollar deals through Scholastic this year - kind of sad when sales drive our lit circles, huh?
I'm looking forward to reading more about your book clubs. Good luck!
Erin
I'm Lovin Lit
I love book club time and my kids do too! It's a good break from our normal routine, and we usually do them twice a year. The hardest part for me is always setting them up and slowly easing students into the routines and structures. You look like you handled that with ease! I am jealous!! :)
ReplyDeleteHere are some sites I have used for audio books in the past:
FREE (but a little bit older): Books Should Be Free Website
Another free site: StoryNory
I also use audible.com, and have gone to my local library which offers iTunes version of books!
I can't wait to read more about your book clubs! Thanks for sharing! :)
Young Teacher Love 5th Grade Blog
This is such a fabulous choice for students. I teach 3rd grade, but more than half of my class are advanced readers and reading text that is WAY above our grade level. So, I am constantly challenged with finding harder text that is an appropriate content level.
ReplyDeleteI have used Scholastic's Storia app. Have you looked into that? It would be a GREAT choice for your clubs!
I also use Audible, both personally and professionally and love it. If anyone in your school teaches Read 180, they also come with CDs you can copy to your computer. Just a thought.
ReplyDeleteI never heard of the Belkin Rockstars... I must order them immediately!
Sounds like it's going to be a blast!! I want to do book clubs if and when I teach reading again. Can't wait to read more posts about how its going!
ReplyDeleteShannon
http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com
I'm like Erin, I use Audible for all of audio books. You can create an account through an Amazon account if you have one. They can be imported into iTunes, but there is also an Audible app and you can load the books onto at least 5 devices (I think?) and download to CDs once.
ReplyDeleteHappy book clubbing!
Carla
Surviving Sixth Grade
Love using book clubs in my classroom! Can't wait to hear more about more experiences with them!
ReplyDeleteI loved this post! I'm moving from 4th to 5th grade next year...and I've been looking at some different ways to approach and teach novels, since some of my students will have had me last year!
ReplyDelete