4.04.2012

PLC-Professional Learning Community

I got an email today from my principal saying that she would like me to be one of the members of our campus PLC that we will be starting this summer/next school year. I am excited about the opportunity, but nervous at the same time. I am the youngest member of the group, but I am honored that my principal values my opinion and thinks of me as a leader. Have you ever or currently participating in a PLC on your campus? What should I expect? In the past we have had a CLT which stood for Campus Leadership Team. This consisted of grade level and department chairs and they were the ones responsible for making decisions for our campus. I am interested to see how some of those people react when they are no longer a part of that committee. 

Tomorrow I am actually headed to a workshop with my principal in Austin and it is just the two of us. I am very much looking forward to it, and the conference sounds like it is going to be a great one. I think I might be more excited though about all of the conversation we will be able to have. 

I also will not be blogging again until Tuesday of next week. I have got to get my Action Research Paper written this weekend because I will not have another good break like this one, and it is due in less than 3 weeks. Wish me luck!

7 comments:

  1. My school has been using the PLC model for a number of years now. We went through an intensive training as a leadership team and then took it all to the school level. Each grade level is a PLC team and we meet together twice a month to look over data and discuss teaching strategies. It's basically what good teachers do all day long with their colleagues but in a formalized way. (It's also what we do on our blogs!) Let me know if you have anymore questions. I would be happy to help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same exact thing with my district Des. Good luck with your paper Katie! So does this mean you also have a job for next year??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine is similar to Des and Hadar it sounds like. I've been in schools doing the PLC model for 5 years. Our district gave us a shorter day on Wednesdays about 2 years ago so that we have 1 hour a week dedicated to the work of a PLC. We review data and plan for our reteach and enrich time that is 1/2 hour 4 days a week. We also plan lessons together in Math and Reading. We share lesson ideas and discuss strategies to help struggling students.

    DillyDabbles

    ReplyDelete
  4. At our school we are all in PLCs..I do more vertical teaming PLCs, but other grades do it with their grade-level. We go through our data and discuss various strategies to teach our TEKS. Like people have said on here, its just what teachers do naturally, but it is written up. I love the time working with my little group!!! BUT, PLC training is funny to me because it's basically a meeting about how to have better meetings. :) On a different note, good luck with your action research!!! I've been there, and you will be finished before you know it! You should post about your research, I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a part of our building collaboration team (BCT) which is the middle school leadership team. Like others have stated, our district has been following the PLC model for many years. We have team planning five days a week. Mon and Wed we meet with our house teaching team and Tue and Thurs we meet as a 7th grade math team. We alternate Fridays between the two groups.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and BTW congrats on being chosen. Your principal obviously sees leadership skills in you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!! My Action Research paper is due this Thurs. too!!! WHich is why I've bee MIA as well.
    What is you AR on? Congrats on reaching 400 followers! I HATE PLCs!!!!! Then again anything admin. and paperwork related is just not my thing! But look at you!!! going to conferences with your P and getting more involved in your school. Proud of ya!

    ❤ Mor Zrihen from...
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!