I am so grateful that it is going to be a short work week! It is really the last break that we get until Memorial Day, and the also happens to be the last week of school. :(
Today at school I thought we did a really great lesson on inferring. We had learned about this earlier in the year, but I have been reviewing some essential skills that I know will be on the dreaded STAAR test that my kiddos will take at the end of April. I am a huge fan of mentor texts and I use them at least two times a week in class. Today we used The Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Pollaco and my kids absolutely loved it! They were captivated by the story and it was also a great way to tie in a bullying lesson too. I of course ordered several more of her books via Amazon during my conference period today and cannot wait for them to get her on Wednesday!!! You've got to love Amazon Prime!
I have also been doing a lot of thinking about next school year already even though I have about 8 more weeks left in this one. I know that I would love to do some more independent book projects with at least my Pre AP classes. If you are in Texas you have probably heard of the Bluebonnet and Lone Star book lists that the TLA puts out. I am thinking about having my students use Lone Star books to create their book projects. Have you ever used the Bluebonnet or Lone Star books in your classes? Even if you are not in Texas, the lists are great to check out!
Last, but not least, I am also linking up with Farley for her April Currently. Be sure to head on over to her blog to play along with us too!




Patricia Pollaco was a visiting author at our school this fall...she is magical! Every single one of her books is amazing!
ReplyDeleteI thought about using the bluebonnet book for lessons in my class this last fall, but didn't get to it. Our 6th graders read the lone stars and 5th graders read the bluebonnets. I would love to hear your ideas on how you are going to use them! :)
ReplyDeleteHi Katie:
ReplyDeleteThanks for the suggestion to check out Lonestar books. And I need to check into Junkyard Wonders too.
Amazon Prime is calling my name...
Wishing you a happy rest of the week!
Kim
Finding JOY in 6th Grade