As I shared this past weekend, I am officially going to be teaching both Language Arts and Math next year to 6th graders. I am so excited to be adding math to my teaching schedule because I have really always loved it. However, I am going to be teaching 6th grade Pre AP so that means I will actually be responsible for teaching my kiddos both 6th and 7th grade math.
Since my math position is essentially one that is being created, my principal asked me what sort of math things I might want. Luckily she was a math teacher when she was in the classroom so she is a great resource, but what are some must have manipulatives for teaching math? Does anyone use CSCOPE for their math curriculum?
I cannot wait to add math to the list of things I share with you all.
The giveaway will also be posted on Sunday sometime and I cannot wait for you to see what all is being given away! I have some amazing teacher bloggers who are helping me with it!



I would be asking for 3D shapes, counters, dice, packs of cards ( UNO cards are even better). I guess it will depend how you will be teaching but I do workshop style so we use play lots of games with dice and cards.
ReplyDeleteEveryday Counts Partner Games by Great Source, metric/customary scales, unifix cubes (good for volume)
ReplyDeleteI use centimeter cubes too... and two-sided counters and plenty of dice, including eight-sided and ten-sided. I recently bought "nets" at Lakeshore to explore volume of solid figures--the kids loved them.
ReplyDeleteI have also used base 10 blocks to show parts of a whole... and some people are very successful with algebra tiles.
This is SO exciting, Katie!
Kim
Finding JOY in 6th Grade
This year I am using Hands-On-Equations to teach equations with manipulatives. The kids are really engaged and are learning a lot!
ReplyDeleteI do teach 6th graders grade 7 math. I like the hollow 3d shapes that you can fill with water since they help them see volume formulas. I use integer dice all the time. You can make your own, but having some is really nice.
ReplyDeleteProtractors and compasses come to mind(probably cuz I needed them the last time I taught math and they were no where to be found!). The rest of the items listed are great. I love the nets from lakeshore as that is one thing that has been hard to teach and they really help. I also keep lots of fraction stuff handy as that always seems to be an area kids struggle with.
ReplyDeleteMisty
Think, Wonder, & Teach
Class set of rulers, protractors, compasses, and calculators - then you know that everyone has one and that they are standard. 3D solids are super, definitely dice and cards - I have some without face cards but I don't remember where I got them. Base 10 and fraction manipulatives or magnetic ones for your whiteboard. Small whiteboards for each student and lots of dry erase markers. I have fraction pizza games that are great - Equalz and Equate are also good games. I just ordered a Judy clock because my 5th graders still don't get elapsed time.
ReplyDeleteIf you are looking for some games in your classroom Blokus and Quirkle are two that my students love. I would say you should load up on some dice. As far as manipulatives go I have pentominoes, pattern blocks, tangrams, centimeter cubes, and multi-link cubes, I would say we use the multi-link cubes the most.
ReplyDeleteAre you a state that is following the Common Core math standards? If so I have a Pinterest board with many links to CC math resources. I am so excited for you that you are going to be teaching math Katie!
Hands on equations are great for those struggling with inverse opperations and adding/subtracting positive/negative intergers. They need to have a really solid understanding of fractions and decimals in order to do all of the proportions/ratios/interest problems, so you might want to pull out the counting blocks and money!
ReplyDelete