2.08.2012

Technology Rocks!!!

I got to attend such a great PD opportunity today. I went with my school librarian to TCEA (Texas Computer Education Association) convention in Austin. It is actually a whole week thing, but we only were able to go today. I had so much fun and was able to take so much away from the sessions that I attended. I learned a lot about Edomodo, digital storytelling, implementing and writing grants for iPads in the classroom, skype, book trailers, using QR codes in the classroom, and so much more! I had never heard of Edomodo before today, and I am now hooked on it. If you have never heard of it either, you must check it out! Essentially, it is Facebook for educators where you can share ideas with each other. It has some really neat resources on it too! 

What is your favorite tech tool that you have in your classroom or have used before? I would love to hear what other things you all might use with your students that they love, and are easy to implement. 

I did learn about some new apps at the conference that are free on Apple Devices. I figured I would pass along the list to you all because if you are like me, you are always looking for great educational apps that you can use with your students. 
Puppet Pals
Sock Puppets
Book Creator
Drawing Pad
Show Me
Toontastic
Screen Chomp
Story Kit

What is your favorite educational app that you use in your classroom?

The best part of the day though might have been getting to see my old camp friend, Sarah, who blogs over at Sweet Teachings. It was so great getting to see her! I wish we had taken a picture together! She also happens to work on the same campus as Miss Griffin from Fantastic First, so I got to meet her too! Now if only they were not so far away!!!

Here is to a great rest of the week! Don't forget to enter my giveaway too!

6 comments:

  1. We LOVE Edmodo! The kids have an assignment every other week. This is my second year using it. Let me know if you'd like to learn some of the trial-and-error things I've figured out! Have fun with it! I want to learn more about using QR codes, too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Schoology instead of Edmodo. The only thing it does not do is allow for teachers to colloborate. BOO!

    Favorite apps: Stack the Countries, Stack the States, BrainPop, StoryLines, Peek, iClue, 7 Words, HOC HD, Peek, US Presidents, The Machine, Science360, Elements, US Time Line, Rocket Math, Youtube, GarageBand, Dictionary.com, Dropbox, Google earth, pic2shop, kindle, iBooks, Book Crawler,... so many many apps! So little time!

    My favorite App for me is my planner: Pocket Informant HD. It is my boyfriend. I love him.

    Misty @
    Think, Teach, & Wonder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie:
    I went to a digital storytelling workshop on Wednesday. I can't wait to try it out with my kiddos.

    Almost the weekend... YAY!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wish I had known about this - I would have LOVED to attend (especially with it being about 10 minutes from my house - probably closer to me than my school is!). Thanks for sharing the list of free apps - I already had some of them, but not all! One of my students' favorite app is Bluster, and it's also free! I let them play it with partners, and they love competing with the other groups to see who can complete the levels in the quickest amount of time! See more info here:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bluster!/id416160693?mt=8

    Happy almost Friday! :)

    katherine
    Third Grade Teacher Files 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started using Edmodo this year. The kids really like using it. I give quizzes, have students send me reading letters, and post my Prezi's that I use for mini lessons. I feel like I just do the basics this year, so I am hoping to do more next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't downloaded any education-type apps. Thanks for the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!