Those were the words that I heard from my assistant principal Tuesday afternoon.
Don't worry, I still have a job. Well, at least I am pretty sure I do even though I have not officially gotten my contract yet. I am not a big fan of this whole 1 year contract thing for the first 3 years, but I totally understand why they do it.
The reason we have to pack up all of our rooms is because we are getting a new AC/Heat system in our 6th grade building. This is a really good thing because our current air conditioning system is horrible. We have zero control over it and my room is always the opposite temperature that I need it to be. I almost always just end up opening a window in my room to try and cool it down. Sometimes it is successful, and other times it simply turns my room into a sauna. However, I am always telling my kids that at least we are breathing fresh air! :)
In addition to a new AC unit, they are also going to replace our ceiling tiles and paint all of our walls. That is why we have to take everything down and pack it all up and place it in the middle of our classroom. The worst part is that they want to begin this in May!!! We do not get out of school until May 31st!!! I am pretty sure that is going to be when I do my research project and can hopefully just get a computer lab every day.
I am a little stressed about this whole situation, but am excited to get things set up again for the fall now that I know what works and what doesn't. If only I could convince my AP that I need a dry erase board too instead of my chalkboard and need tables instead of desks. We will see how that goes!
P.S. Thanks so much for your comments about the classroom management linky party. I think I might try and do something once a month, possibly twice. It is still in the works, but I will let you all know the details as soon as I get them altogether.



Oh -- New PAINT!!! Is it going to be a pretty color? I would simply die without AC but painting while school is in session... ugh! How is one to teach with that going on???
ReplyDeleteMrs Poland
Think, Wonder, & Teach
I have been there! Last November, they painted my classroom... so the Friday before Thanksgiving break, I got to take everything down off the walls and move everything to the center of the room so they could paint. I also got to move it all back before school the following Monday. :) But, honestly, it was worth it! I love my pretty painted walls, and you will love your walls and your fabulous HVAC system.
ReplyDeleteKatie--
ReplyDeleteBook the computer lab early (if possible)! At our school (in NY) it books up FAST in May/June because we don't have AC at all!
If that doesn't work, I'd suggest going outside with your kids (if possible). I've had kids bring in beach towels and do our work outside. We also are limited on rooms for our book clubs so sometimes we teach on the stairs! Sounds crazy but being on the 3rd floor, no one bothers us! :)
Best of luck and I hope you stay at your job!
Lucky girl! I am so happy for you and your school, that will be lovely! We don't have AC (though I think I'm in a colder region than you) but there are many days I wish we did!! What color are they painting everything?
ReplyDeleteKristen
That happened to me this year right before winter break! My principal decided that I had to switch classrooms with the Nursery School next door. Since I'm on a term, I also had to pack up and move all the 'regular' teacher's stuff as well. At least I didn't have to teach while that was going on! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteAmen for a new A/C unit!!!! We have a similar problem but my room is FREEEEEEEEEZING!!!!! Ughh! It feels like Siberia in my room. What a pain to pack it all up! Get the kids to help you! My kids pack up my room every June :)
ReplyDelete❤ Mor Zrihen from...
A Teacher's Treasure
Teaching Treasures Shop
I can't comment! So I am replying...I am secretly weird because I don't mind moving to a new classroom. It makes me start fresh and get really organized/declutter. I hope the same goes for you! Yay to new AC and Paint...BOO to having a chalkboard. Fingers crossed you get everything you hope for!!!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI nominated your blog for an award... come on over and check it out!
ReplyDelete