I am going to be trying something new this week in my classroom. I am going to be integrating a Reading and Writing Workshop. No worries, we have been doing reading and writing activities, just not in the form of a workshop. I have not exactly decided how I would like to do it, I just know I want to. I ordered a few books today from Amazon to give me some ideas. One was The Book Whisperer which I have been wanting to read for quite some time now.
I think I am going to start by having about 20 minutes of class time that is going to be set aside just for SSR or DEAR time. I am currently developing a reading response journal that my students will fill out each day. I have a feeling that I am going to just buy the notebooks for them though. I know that it will be well worth it though.
What sort of things do you do in your classroom for reading and writing workshop? Any resource books that you think I should check out?




I loved I Can Write Like That! by Susan Ehmann and Kellyann Gayer. Its a great resource if you are interested in using mentor texts (picture books) as models for writing. I blogged about it. www.christine-readingisthinking.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteI'm looking to begin reader response journals this year. Please share any resources you find pertaining to this topic. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
ReplyDelete