8.18.2013

Summer is Over!


It is s hard to believe that today marks the end of my Summer Vacation! Tomorrow we start our week of in-service, really I should not complain because we only have 4 days since Friday is our County Fair Parade and pretty much the whole town is involved in it. :)

Even though my summer was crazy busy, I loved every minute of it. I learned so much as myself as an administrator while I was the camp director and I know that this will help tremendously when I am ready to be a principal now that I have passed my certification test. I am looking forward to returning again in the summer to the same position and continuing to grow as a leader. 

Summer may be coming to an end, but I am so excited for the upcoming school year and my new adventure with my 21 firsties! I thought I would create a top 5 list for the things I am most looking forward to about this upcoming school year. 

one. I am excited to see the growth that my class will have over the school year. In 6th grade I could see it a little bit, but there is just so much more in 1st grade. My students are on a variety of levels and I cannot wait to see their individual growth. 

two. I am excited to be teaching multiple subjects. Don't get me wrong, I still love Language Arts and everything that is associated with it, but I am thrilled to be teaching a variety of contents. We embed Science and Social Studies within our ELA block, but I am excited to be adding math to what I am teaching. 

three. In 1st grade we are going to be implementing the Daily 5. I was lucky enough to hear the Sisters at their conference in 2012 and loved it! When I was double blocked in 6th grade and had two hours to teach ELA, I ran a modified Daily 5 with my kids. I am excited to implement from Day 1 this year (actually I will probably introduce on Wednesday of Week 1) and teach my students the independence of Daily 5. 

four. I cannot wait to see my students grow as writers! Last year was the first year that Writing Workshop was implemented in 1st grade, and the teachers have just raved about it. I dreaded teaching writing in 6th grade mainly because my kids hated it. I want to help create a love for writing with my kids. Hopefully that will be possible through Writing Workshop. 

five. I am thrilled to be a part of an amazing team and am so looking forward to collaborating with them. In 6th grade I was only with one other person for planning purposes which was difficult at times. I also was already told that I am on the Language Arts planning team and am thrilled about that! 

I promise to share pictures of my new classroom soon...I really think I will be finished with it today! Happy shopping during the Teachers Pay Teachers Back to School Sale! I know my cart is loaded up and I am still not done looking! :)

1 comment:

  1. We start our in-service tomorrow, too. My sister-in-law teaches 1st grade and loves it! My little boy will be in 1st this year, too. I'm excited about what the new school year holds. I hope you have an awesome year and special group of kids.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!