1.28.2013

iPads in the Classroom

While most people enjoyed the day off in honor of MLK Jr., I was lucky enough to have a professional development day. Luckily though the day was uber productive and we got so much accomplished.

Part of our day was spent coming up with some intervention plans for the entire grade level. I am really excited about what we came up with and today was actually the first day that we did it. Unfortunately, I was at home sick so I had to miss out on it. We decided that it would be best to provide the intervention to all of the students. Essentially what we did was split all of our 6th graders into smaller advisories (between 12-14 students in each) and we have a total of 15 intervention lessons that are taking place. The students will stay in the same classroom and the teachers will rotate. There are 6 Language Arts, 6 Math, and 3 Study Skills lessons. I am excited to see how it unfolds during the whole process!

During our PD day, we also worked on our CNA (Campus Needs Assessment) report that we are required to do. I was lucky enough to land on the Technology committee and could not have been happier.I am so excited about the things that we are going to hopefully implement in the next few years. We are going to be visiting several schools around us to see how they are implementing technology. We are hoping that in the next 3 yeas that we could become a 1:1 campus, or at least be pretty darn close.  Our first visit is going to happen on February 5th.

Are you on a 1:1 campus? Do you have mobile technology carts available to you to use in your classroom for instructional purposes? Are you a BYOD campus? How many iPads do you have for your classroom?

I cannot wait to see what you all have to share with me!

9 comments:

  1. I would be thrilled to be a 1:1 school. So far, we're BYOD for e readers, and we have a tech innovation committee of @25 teachers who received ipads to explore possibilities. I've used my own ipad for stuff that helps me in the classroom, but not with the kids. I'd love to hear what you end up doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be a 1:1 school! We are not there right now, though.

    I am the technology specialist for our Title 1 PreK-6 elementary school. We have about 890 students.

    We are a BYOD campus (actually district wide) and have used this to increase the number of devices we aer using daily. We have lots of eReaderes and tablets, some smartphones and iTouches, and even a few laptops.

    Each classroom has a SmartBoard, Smart document camera, projector and 4 student laptops. Kindergarten also has 2 Waterford (early literacy development).

    Shared technology - available for checkout to bring to your classroom:
    We have 3 netbook carts that have 12, 16 or 32 netbooks in them.
    We have 6 laptop carts with 16 each.
    We have one stationary lab with 30 laptops in it.
    We have 4 baskets of iPads (7 each)

    Soon we will be getting 20 more iPads to be assigned in groups of 5 to classrooms.

    We have 3 teachers who are part of a pilot project and have an iPad assigned to them (and their classroom).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each teacher has a Samsung tablet.
    Most classrooms have a Smartboard, those that don't will get them over spring break.
    Pre-K and K has iPads through a grant, other teachers BYOD.
    We have one laptop cart (not sure how many)
    We have two google tablet carts that will be used primarily in ESL and then shared with whomever else needs them.

    -Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are going to be a BYOD school very soon! I can't wait!! I would love for it to be 1:1 but this looks like a wonderful solution in the meantime. I can't wait to hear more about your iPads :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was recently commenting on another blog about how different the reality is compared to what we envisioned for "21st Century Schools." My school, for example, has one computer lab per grade level. All teachers have laptops, iPads, and cell phones. We have data projectors, but interactive white boards are very limited. Oh... and I should mention that I teach in a Science and Technology school!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our board is moving towards BYOD (but I'm thinking we're "moving" at a snail's pace). We did just get a laptop cart (20 of them) for myself and one other classroom to share. We alternate days - and I TOTALLY look forward to those days. I bought myself an ipad last year so I could bring it to school. I hook it up to my smartboard and we go from there. Once in a while I will let a small group explore with it, but not as often as I should (because I know no one will replace it if it gets broken).

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! We are not a 1:1 iPad school this year, but we are hopeful that we will be next year. AMAZING! We currently have a mobile lab of 20 iPads for our fourth and fifth graders. Because we are a small school, there is more than enough time to get the cart when you'd like it. I just got an iPad myself and have had fun figuring out how to use them in the most beneficial manner with the kids.

    There are sooooo many apps out there, and it's hard to wade through them all. The issue we have at our school is that all apps are added to the iPads through the tech dept. This is great, except that it takes awhile to get it done. so, there's no "spur of the moment" inspiration unless you're using apps already loaded. A small group of teachers did have the opportunity to visit other schools to see how they're implementing 1:1 and it was wonderful. So many great ideas and uses for these devices (whatever the device may be), and most importantly, meeting the kids where they are today. Whether we like it or not, personal devices is where kids are.

    All classrooms at my school do have SMART Boards, but we currently don't have the ability to connect the iPads to the board. That would be great. Would love to see what others use in the way of apps..I teach 4th grade and have a few tried and trues, but not a lengthy list.
    Thanks!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think we're 1:1 at our building yet but I think our high school is (I'm at the middle school). I have a mobile lab of laptops in my room and an iPad for my personal use. There are four other mobile labs in my school (about 250 students) and I think one laptop lab. We are not BYOD but I think our high school is. I'm sure that's down the road for us. Kids are allowed to have e-readers for personal reading though.

    I can hook my iPad to my projection camera but not through my smartboard, although I do control my smartboard (well Sympodium really) using Splashtop.

    Your intervention plan sounds great! I can't wait to hear how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are so lucky in that our school became a 1:1 to school this year through a pilot project. It was huge process, and we have implemented them for just about 2 months now.I had previously had 7 iPads in my classroom, and every child having their own device is AWESOME. Although, it is a considerable amount of work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!