10.24.2012

Anchors Away!

Some people might think I am crazy, but I just love anchor charts. I think it is the elementary teacher trapped in me. It is rare that we do not make at least three of them during the course of a week in my classroom. My goal is to start sharing my anchor charts with you all on a weekly basis, but we will see how that goes. 

Last week we were focusing on plot elements and we were using a story mountain to help us. I created this chart with them that we have since put up in our classroom as a reference for us to use throughout the year. 
I just love hearing my students talk about the different elements in a story now that they understand what they all are. 

Yesterday we started to talk about theme. My student had no idea what the word theme meant, but they quickly realized that all it really is is the message or lesson that the author is trying to teach us in a story. As soon as they realized that, we quickly became theme pros. :)


If I turned this into a weekly, or biweekly, linky party, is that something that you would be interested in participating in?

17 comments:

  1. I would love to participate. I've been thinking a lot about anchor charts lately, because the wall space in my classroom is funky and I need to get creative. Once we make one and it's up for a bit, I tend to photograph or type up and kids get their own copy for writing folders, reading folders, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anchor charts!! I always use them in my writing and reading lessons. I would love to link up! My blogging has been less frequent since school has started, but I would be interested!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - I would definitely participate!
    I LOVE anchor charts and am always looking for new and creative ways to use them in the classroom :)

    Bring on the linky!

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to participate in a linky party about anchor charts!

    I really enjoy how straightforward and neat yours are!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count me in, there's an elementary teacher trapped inside me too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started using anchor charts in my 6th grade class. Love, love, love them! What kind of markers do you use? The colors look so vibrant. Also, thanks for sharing yours...as a newbie it helps to get ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your anchor charts. I'd participate for sure, though my handwriting isn't as nice as yours! :) I am going to use some of your ideas when I teach theme with my 8th graders. I really like your tips. I can see students really using them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! As a UK London Year 6 Teacher ( 10- 11 year olds) I am so into this! Please do keep sharing! They are fabulous! EXCLAMATION MARK!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My 5/6 graders LOVE making anchor charts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to know HOW you use them? Do you start with a blank chart in front of them and write as you talk? Is it already written before you show them? (I can't imagine them staying interested as I wrote so neatly)Do you have a lesson that goes with each chart?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the theme chart! I always find theme to be a tricky concept to teach. Thanks for sharing! :) Lattes and Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE it! I've been thinking about how to introduce the idea of theme to my 6th graders. If you'd like to share more about how you do this--please do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your anchor charts! I make at least 1 a day! I am addicted to them :)

    http://fantastic5thgrade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would definitely participate in an anchor chart linky party! There's always a new way to do them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am also addicted to your anchor charts!!!! I would definitely be interested in a DAILY linky party! :) I have been teaching for 1000 years, yet am learning so much from you all. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your ideas are amazing. I would love to keep seeing more and any advice you can offer me on anchor charts and using them in my classroom would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. can the theme also be considered " the Main idea " as in Ontario that is what we need to teach.........thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!