9.28.2011

Open Communication from School to Home Tips

One of the things that I work very hard on in my classroom is making sure that I have the communication lines from school to home flowing openly. When I was asked by my current principal this past spring to finish my student teaching and then finish the school year in my same position I have now, she told me that I absolutely had to get the bridges mended back together with parents and communication. I thought that I would share a few of my tips with you all. Hopefully you can integrate some of them into your classroom too if are not already. 

1. Weekly Updates- Even though I teach 6th grade, I still send out a weekly update to my parents each and every week. At the beginning of the school year I send home a note about the class as well as an information sheet for parents to fill out so I can contact them more easily. On this sheet I also have a spot where parents can choose how they would like to receive the weekly update. They have the option to receive it electronically through e-mail, a hard copy sent home with their student, or they may choose to not receive the update. I send the update out each week on Monday afternoon and then send the hard copy home with students on Tuesday. In the update each week I let parents know what we will be learning as well as any tests that will be that week. I also include important dates for things that are going on within the school such as assemblies, pep rallies, dances, etc. 

2. Invite Parents to Student Presentations- Lat spring I invited the parents of my students to come and watch their students when they gave their research paper presentations. The parents thought it was great that I invited them and it was great giving them the chance to see their student working. I will be doing this again this year when students present. 

3. Have a Classroom Website- This is something that I just started this year after talking with one of the math teachers. Currently I am using Teacher Web to house my website and I love how easy it is to update. You can find my classroom website here. Several teachers I know also use a free website, Weebly. I post on this on a weekly basis and also include a calendar, classroom wishlist, and books we've read on here. I have gotten lots of positive feedback from the parents about the site. 

How do you keep open communication between school and home in your classroom?

1 comment:

  1. Love the tips! Parent communication is important, even with our older kids! Thanks for commenting on my post! I replied to you on my persuasion blog post :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!