Today for Teacher Week over at Babbling Abby we are sharing creative ideas. Since I do not have my own classroom I figured I would share some things that I have seen that I love and also some things I do while subbing.
1. Have students keep a spelling spiral. Those weekly spelling tests are somewhat pointless because we all know that there are children in our class who get no help with homework at home. Instead of having students do spelling homework each night, have them spend 15 minutes in their Spelling Journal when they first get to school. Each morning have students complete a different task such as ABC order, use 5 words in a sentence, rainbow writing (trace the word in several different colors), etc. This also guarantees that students are at least practicing the words a couple of times before the spelling test on Friday.
2. Vista Print! This is a teacher's best friend...at least I think so! I am getting ready to place my first order with them and they just have so many wonderful things to choose from. I always remember being confused as to what I needed to complete when I was absent, so I just created a notepad that I can use to write down students missed assignments from an absence. If you put those things aside for missing students each day and have a place to put them it will make your life so much easier.
3. Have a sub binder that is easy for a sub to follow. I cannot even begin to tell you the number of classrooms that I have been in while subbing and I have such a hard time finding their plans. My favorite was when the teacher taped the plans to the computer screen which is nowhere near her desk, that took me quite some time to find them that time. I came across the Littlest Learners blog and she has been going through how to put a great sub binder together. Be sure and check it out! I know I am putting one together that I will be able to just add to when I have my first classroom.
4. Microwave TV dinner trays are great for the classroom. the ones with the 2 compartments are even better. They are great to use for the ART center as well as with math manipulatives. Think twice before you throw it away next time.
I am really looking forward to reading everyone's ideas because I know that there will be some that I will want to use in my first classroom!



I love your school blog...so cute! We do those spelling activities at our school...abc order, rainbow write, etc!
ReplyDeleteSpiral spelling - how cute!!! And I totally know what you're saying about not getting parental support on homework completion. Drives me crazy! What a great way to avoid that stress!
ReplyDeleteI like the TV tray idea! Very creative!
ReplyDeleteI love the TV tray idea! Spelling spiral is also something I can use because I come from a very poor school and alot of my students don't complete their homework.
ReplyDeleteYour website is so cute! Good luck with student teaching!
ReplyDeletegreat ideas!!
ReplyDeleteYOUR BLOG IS ADORABLE!!! Love the spiral spelling idea & will be using it.
ReplyDelete