8.14.2010

"August Experience"

Next year at this time I will be enjoying my last weekend before going back to school full time and attending teacher inservice. I was efficient and purchased my textbooks for my classes this semester yesterday, but I did not like the number that the cash register said...$450 and I am only taking 14 hours this semester. I also received an e-mail yesterday from one of the two professors that will be my student teaching advisers explaining an opportunity that is available to us called "August Experience".

We have not yet been assigned mentor teachers yet for Student Teaching, but basically what we do is spend one day with a teacher the week before school starts and also the first day of school with them. I have been lucky enough to spend time helping a teacher before the first day of school, but I think it will be an amazing opportunity to get to spend the first day of school in the classroom with the teacher as well. I will be going to visit the elementary to talk to the principal to see if this is something that he will allow me to do. The best part is that this will also count for 2 days towards our observations in the spring. 

Right now I know that I would like to either student teach in 3rd or 5th grade, but am leaning more towards 5th grade. The only issue though is that in 5th grade where I will student teach, the teachers only teach either Science and Math or LA and Social Studies, not all 4 subjects like a traditional classroom. Do you think that it will be harmful for me to only teach 2 subjects?

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I so remember saying, "This time next year..." The time will be here before you know it! I'm headed toward my 3rd year and can hardly believe it!

    Also, I don't think it will be harmful for you to teach only 2 subjects since you will still be getting all the experiences of being a teacher. It's a fairly common practice to share the workload among a team, so the experience you'll be getting will be authentic.

    {Sidenote: I always thought I wanted to teach intermediate...until student teaching! I taught in K for 8 wks and 5th for 8 weeks and determined I'm much more geared for primary! }

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think either one will be great!! However, I am a little partial to 3rd! ;)
    My student teacher does not officially start until the 30th and she came to my open house and 1st day. Those are prime times and you can learn a lot.
    Good Luck with this year. I can't wait to hear all about your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea! I remember my first day with a classroom. I really didn't know what all to do. I think that would be very beneficial and such an awesome learning experience! I hope you get to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are going to be so ready next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deparmentalizing is definitely not harmful! If anything, it's more helpful and easier for you as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Observing a teacher the first day of school will be so much fun! As far as the student teaching goes, focusing on two subjects will definitely allow you time to get more involved in the content. I've never taught elementary, but that's my opinion as a JH teacher. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! I just got through doing this in Mississippi as well and I loved it. I observed in a 1st grade classroom and it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Luck! I so remember paying that $400 plus on textbooks! It is such a rewarding job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think 3rd grade would be such a fun grade!
    BTW you have received the Amazingness Award from me...Enjoy!

    http://teachinginhighheels.blogspot.com/2010/08/amazingness-award.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for following my blog! :) I think you will love 5th grade...they are so fun! If you have any questions or want ideas, please feel free to ask!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!