My classroom library is one of the things that I have been working on for quite some time now. I have been collecting books for quite some time now and have a collection of over 300 books already. I have found my books at various places such as bookstores, garage sales, and my favorite of them all...Scholastic Book Orders! Luckily I have several contacts at the local elementary school and they are wonderful about sharing the book orders with me and I am guilty of spending $50 at a time on them. Hopefully when I have my first classroom I will have some wonderful parents who love to order from the book orders and help to earn me some bonus points that I can use to continue to add to the classroom library.
As I have been putting the books away, I have also made sure to label them with my name as well as an AR label. I found this great website called AR Bookfinder and I have used it to label all of my books for Accelerated Reader tests and book levels. I created a label to put on the front of all of my books that includes the test number, AR level, and point value and then I just look it up and write the information on the label. If you are interested in seeing the labels just shoot me an email to k.e.klohn@gmail.com and I would be more than happy to share them with you.
What sort of things do you do to help keep your classroom library organized? Any tips for a future teacher?



I usually organize my library by genre...and topics. The kids love to go and select books from baskets that are organized by different topics...(ie Clifford Books, Fairy Tales, Sports Books etc). But I love the idea of having an AR label on them...I'll shoot you an e-mail soon...so that I can take a look at them. Thanks for posting your idea!
ReplyDeleteBTW I ♥ your blog design! And I'm a recent follower! Have a great day!
Ooops I forgot to leave the link to my blog in the previous comment...here it is
ReplyDeletewww.teachinginhighheels.blogspot.com