Follow my blog with Bloglovin
It is hard to believe, but I have finished teaching 6th grade as of 3:35 p.m. today. I may have done a happy dance in the hallway after school to celebrate! Big picture it is bittersweet. The people and kids are what I am going to miss, but I am beyond excited for my new adventure!
It is hard to believe, but I have finished teaching 6th grade as of 3:35 p.m. today. I may have done a happy dance in the hallway after school to celebrate! Big picture it is bittersweet. The people and kids are what I am going to miss, but I am beyond excited for my new adventure!
6th grade was never part of the plan for me, well, at least I did not think it was supposed to be. These past two years have taught me so much and I have learned a lot about myself as an educator.
I will never forget sitting in the elementary principal's office to go over my second student teaching evaluation from my university professor and him telling me that the middle school principal wanted me to finish my student teaching in 6th grade. At the time I thought she was crazy. Why would this girl who always wanted to teach 1st or 2nd grade be crazy enough to venture to 6th grade? I still cannot believe that I agreed to it. I had barely even subbed at the middle school level at this point and had spent 95% of my time in Kinder-5th grade. When I began my adventure in 6th grade, I was a novice who knew absolutely nothing who inherited a total unorganized mess of a classroom. I had no idea what I was doing. I had no idea how I was going to fix the bridge that had been burned by the previous teacher as well.
While I was finishing my student teaching in 6th grade, a 3rd grade position opened up at the elementary school where I did the first part of my student teaching so I applied for it and got an interview. I personally thought the interview went great, but it was not part of the plan for me at the time. I really had no idea what I was going to do. The 6th grade position that I had been filling in for was open and I decided to apply. I knew I really wanted to stay in the area and this seemed like the best option. When I was offered the position just a few days later, I took it. I really had no idea what to expect and I was just happy to have a job within the district.
The past two years have turned out to be such an amazing experience for me and I know that I am a better teacher because of teaching 6th grade.
This chapter may be closing, but I cannot wait to start writing a new chapter in 1st grade.
(No worries, the blog is staying and my domain is not changing. I will have a new look though in the next week or so though and a new blog name too!)
While I was finishing my student teaching in 6th grade, a 3rd grade position opened up at the elementary school where I did the first part of my student teaching so I applied for it and got an interview. I personally thought the interview went great, but it was not part of the plan for me at the time. I really had no idea what I was going to do. The 6th grade position that I had been filling in for was open and I decided to apply. I knew I really wanted to stay in the area and this seemed like the best option. When I was offered the position just a few days later, I took it. I really had no idea what to expect and I was just happy to have a job within the district.
The past two years have turned out to be such an amazing experience for me and I know that I am a better teacher because of teaching 6th grade.
This chapter may be closing, but I cannot wait to start writing a new chapter in 1st grade.
(No worries, the blog is staying and my domain is not changing. I will have a new look though in the next week or so though and a new blog name too!)



I'm excited to see your new look and I know you are excited about the sweet little guys you will have next year. :)
ReplyDeleteBrandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners
That is so exciting! I am moving from 5th to kindergarten. I had to teach 5th grade for 5 years before I could move. Consider yourself lucky! :)
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see your new look! I believe as long as you're passionate about learning you can instill that passion and energy into any student.
ReplyDeleteErica
Shepherd's Shining Stars
It is good to go along with life's journey, but i know what it is like to be in a grade level that doesn't quite fit. Good luck in your new position.
ReplyDeleteEmilyK
Good luck with your new adventure! I'm sure you will enjoy it as much if not more than the last!
ReplyDeleteDee
Mrs. B's Nook
I am so glad you are getting your dream job! I hope it is everything you have hoped for and more. :) I've taught across the spectrum K-6, and each experience has something wonderful to offer. Best of luck to you this fall! I know you'll be very busy this summer!!
ReplyDeleteI too am jumping from the upper grades into first! (5th to 1st) So glad you'll keep me inspired on this adventure!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to read along with your new adventure!
ReplyDeleteExcited for you!!!!! I taught K for 6 years so I know you'll have lots of little darlings!
ReplyDeleteShannon
http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com
Congratulations! I was in your exact opposite position 32 years ago. I was hired to teach first grade. By the end of that year I knew it took a very special person to teach first grade and it was not me. I teach sixth grade Science, Math, etc. Whatever they want me to teach to SIXTH Graders. I am glad that you are getting to move. A happy teacher makes a happy class! But, don't be afraid to come back to sixth grade!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! I have a similar story too, as I ended up in 6th grade and am finally heading back to elementary school next year! :)
ReplyDeletewww.elementaryendeavors.weebly.com
Congrats on your new adventure Katie! I started out in 6th grade and loved it. Never thought I would wind up being a 7th grade math teacher, but I really do love that too.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your new adventure!!
ReplyDeleteMisty
Think, Wonder, & Teach