10.09.2011

What a week...

This past Friday was by far the worst one I have had since starting the school year. 

On Friday, we had a lady come around our rooms to observe and see how we were doing with implementing our sheltered instruction strategies. Being that I just went to the sheltered instruction training this past September, I was pretty sure she was going to be walking into my room at some point, and I was right about that. However, I did not think that I was going to be the very first room she would go into, but I was. I have been using lots of the strategies that she I already used taught us in my classroom and I had my objectives posted like we are supposed to. She was in my room for about 15 minutes and then she talked to me for a few minutes during the 5 minute break in between 1st and 2nd period. She was quite negative with me and just kept pointing out the things I was not doing instead of at least sharing something positive with me. Let's just say that put me in a pretty crappy mood!

During 3rd period which is my Pre AP class I began to grade spelling tests while they were working on some comprehension questions for The Giver with a partner. Oh my goodness, the grades were horrible! I even had one of my kids in my first class make a 2 on it. Yes, a 2!!! I did not even know that was possible. He missed every single word, but managed to get the bonus right. There will definitely be some retesting and corrections going on with spelling tests from this past week. Hopefully they will do better on it this coming week.

After lunch, I had my Pre AP kiddos again for about an hour. One of the boys came back from lunch and could not follow directions and was driving me crazy. He also happened to be way behind with his work and was distracting the others while they tried to work. I ended up having to send him to the office with a stress pass so I did not blow a gasket. I think it might have been exactly what he needed though because he came back ready to work.

Then it was time for 5th period and this is my smallest class, there are only 16 of them, but 10 of them are boys. These boys also love to talk and argue with each other. They wear me out every single day, and Friday was no different. They would not stop talking for anything on Friday. Luckily, I did manage to make it to 6th period which is my conference.

During conference my plan was to go to the workroom to run my district benchmark bubble sheets through the Eduphoria scanner. I got a little frustrated when the computer program for it kept freezing and then would not take my bubble sheets. I finally gave up and started walking towards the main building to go and check my box. Our principal happens to be in one of the rooms as I am walking by and she calls me. She could tell I was frustrated and upset so we talked for a little while. When she was getting ready to walk out of the room she also told me that the sheltered instruction observer was raving about me and my classroom. The same one who I thought pretty much hated me actually loved me. Why couldn't she have told me something positive instead of making me mad for most of the day?

By this point I was pretty sure that my day could not get any worse, but it did. We took our MS cheerleaders to the HS pep rally on Friday because they were invited. It is always such a neat thing for the girls and it is a fun pep rally too because it was the black light one. We were supposed to be there by 2:45pm so the girls could warm up and everything. We were all there, but our head cheer sponsor did not get there until about 3:05 when the pep rally started at 3:15. This is when I just lost it and cried. Luckily I did feel better after crying.

Did I mention I had some major projects for grad school do this week too?

I can only hope that this week will be better than the last one.

7 comments:

  1. oh no! We all have those days but that doesn't make it any easier! Hope it goes more smoothly this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Katie!

    Isn't it funny that "they" always tell us to use positive strategies ("Always find something good to say") with the kids, but then they start with the negatives when they talk to the grown-ups?!

    I'm sorry all of that happened in ONE day! Maybe this is the good news: You got all of the lousy stuff out of the way for a while... and now there is only room for positives!

    Wishing you a BETTER week

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stressful week! I hope this one is better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man that seems like a bad way to spend a Friday! I'm glad you got positive reviews. Keep your chin up, some days are just rough like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...I hope you at least enjoyed a glass (or 12) of wine after that crappy day! I think Friday was just a nutty day all around. Apparently my class was INSANE with my sub (who was clearly insane!).

    I hate it when observers can't say anything positive. We are constantly told to be positive with our students (even if it is hard!) yet they can't. Hopefully today was better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry you had a crappy day :( the good thing about fridays is the the weekend follows it. Hope this week is a better one!!!

    ❤ Mor ❤
    A Teacher's Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, I would have been upset by those comments from someone observing me too. I am CERTAIN that your whole entire lesson was not rubbish. That's a ridiculous thought.

    I honestly think that some people, although they might be knowledgeable, just don't have quite the right personality type to be responsible for observing and mentoring others. It definitely sounds like the way she approached you was her problem, not yours.

    I totally agree with Kim's comment above about it being funny how lecturers and trainers always tell you to be really positive with the students, and yet sometimes do the exact opposite with YOU. Setting a good example they are NOT. :/

    I'm glad you have a principal who does things the right way, and that you at least got to hear (even if second hand) that the woman who came to observe you actually did think you were doing a good job, even if she didn't express it to you at the time.

    Wow, this comment has been far too long, so I hope you have a better week next week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!