3.28.2011

I Survived!

The first day that is at least. 

It went better than I expected which is a good thing I guess. I really hope that the kids will be as well behaved tomorrow as they were today. They were very receptive to the change and most of the kids seemed pretty excited about it. We started class today by watching a clip from the first Toy Story movie. It is at the beginning of the movie when Woody is leading the meeting with all of the toys about Andy's birthday party and the move. I thought that the kids could relate to a lot of the emotions that the toys were feeling in their current situation with Language Arts. It led right into the journal entry that the students completed that was pretty open ended; they were to write about their experience in Language Arts this year and anything associated with it. I was floored by some of the responses. 

The hardest thing that we have had to deal with right now is getting the kids all on the same page and tying up all of the loose ends that were left by the teacher who resigned. I really wish that I would have taken a before picture of the classroom before I started working in it. You all would be astonished at how she left it. That is why I spent almost 4 hours there yesterday and then did not leave until about 6:30pm this evening. Hopefully that tonight will be my last really late night at the school, but I doubt it. 

I promise to get pictures of the room this week sometime, I cannot wait for you all to see it!  

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I feel you. When I got my first job (a lot term job that was supposed to last 4 weeks and lasted 7 months!), it took me TWO HOURS just to clean off the teacher's DESK. Not to mention the myriad of other crap she left everywhere. It was pretty crazy.

    Those kids are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!