I so enjoyed my week off this past week! I was in desperate need of a mini-vacation from school. I was pretty darn stressed during the week before Spring Break. Today was our first day back and I had to do a little re-training with my 6th graders! You would have thought they had never set foot in my classroom before. :)
I actually will not even be at school for the rest of the week. Tomorrow and Wednesday I am lucky enough to be attending a workshop that is being conducted by the DuFours who are the gurus of Professional Learning Communities. On my campus this has been our first year implementing the PLC concept, and for the most part I have really enjoyed it. I like that more teachers are on the same page and that we are all focused on the students. I will admit, at times I still struggle with it, but I think it will get better as time goes on. While in grad school, we read lots about PLC's and research from the DuFours. It is going to be great to finally put a real face with them. I promise to be back later this week and share what I learned with you all!
Do any of you all use the PLC format on your campus? How often do you all meet and who is on your PLC? I love to hear how other campuses implement the model on their campus!



This is our third year with PLC's - It does get better each year. I went to a 3 day traing in St. Louis this summer and the DuFours presented-FABULOUS!! I teach first grade and we meat twice a week. Every other Monday is Data Discussion and our Assisstant Principal comes to that meeting. I can't wait to hear what you learn about.
ReplyDeleteBarbara
happyteachingfirst.blogspot.com
meadowt@comcast.net
meat?
DeleteAssisstant?
DeleteWe use PLC's in our school. Each grade level gets together twice a week- once for planning and once for data. this is our first year working as a team, so I can only imagine that it will get better next year. This year we had a bit of a rocky start and are still learning to work together and to analyze data.
ReplyDeleteWe do PLC's. Once a month we have a delayed opening for students and the teachers meet in grade levels or departments. Grade levels also meet once a week during prep, and we also have department meetings once a month after school.
ReplyDelete-Maria
Everyone deServes to Learn
We don't use PLC's but it sounds like a great thing (although I am sure it is a lot of work.) I wish my school was more "connected" about some things.
ReplyDeleteI'm a new follower.
Hunter's Tales from Teaching
This is our third year for PLC's and I agree, it gets better each year. Your team has a huge impact on how successful it is! This year is great! We informally PLC all day long but we formally meet twice a week, once for planning and once for data.
ReplyDeleteWe call what we do PLCs (or grade level planning) but it is NEVER that. It is always administrative work. So we are rarely on the same page and hardly ever get to plan together or share ideas. If we could collaborate more I think it would be a great thing. Ours is one hour a week.
ReplyDeleteGina
Third Grade Tidbits
I just discovered your blog and will be a daily reader from now on!!! I am a first year teacher in Texas and trying my best to become a good teacher. Your blog is awesome!! And I LOVE Karen Kingsbury as well!!!
ReplyDeleteI am glad I read your post. We have meeting called PLC's, but admin. never explained that there was a theory behind them. We share data and discuss kids. They are scheduled once a month for each subject area.
ReplyDeleteKristin
Teachntex