3.08.2013

Five on Friday


I am one happy camper right now because as of 3:35 p.m. today I am officially on Spring Break. Oh wait, but I stayed at school until almost 5:30 today. 

I am excited to be linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for her Five for Friday Linky Party!

One. This week was rough and I am so grateful that it is Spring Break. I cried twice this week at school. I have just been so stressed lately and feel like I am working my butt off, but that it is still not enough. With the new STAAR testing and the higher standards I am really freaking out because I have some pretty low students. Our school is currently in AYP mess and I really want us to get out of it. If we meet AYP this school year we do get out and we will lose a few headaches with that. I was pretty bummed with our benchmark results and am going to be completely revamping my classroom when we get back from the break. 

Two. I am so lucky to have an amazing Language Arts coach that comes to our campus once a week from Region 13. She was in the room when I lost it on Wednesday and was ready to help me make a plan to best meet the needs of my students. We decided that I need to move to some additional targeted small group instruction. She helped me to narrow my groups down and to figure out which students I really needed to focus on. We then came up with a plan and schedule for the groups. I know that small group instruction is what they need and am so excited that we are going to make it happen. I am also going to be doing book clubs with my kids so I can meet with the small groups and everyone else is self-sufficient. 

Three. I am proud to be a Texas Teacher Blogger!

Head on over to Fifth in the Middle to find teacher bloggers from your state! 

Four. After crying twice this week I may have decided (with admin approval) to show a movie for the past two days. Best decision ever of my life. We had not watched one all year and the kids were amazing. Since we had been reviewing plot elements, theme, and summarizing, we use Soul Surfer to do it instead. It has to be on my top 5 movie list.

Five. We are gearing up for a Mock STAAR test in both Math and Reading for our 6th graders when we get back to school. I am excited to have some more data, but am nervous about it at the same time too. Creating all of the small groups has been a logistical nightmare!  

I hope that my Texas friends enjoy their Spring Break and get some much needed rest and relaxation! 

13 comments:

  1. Enjoy your spring break! This is my favorite week to have off. We have to wait until Easter Week. One more reason to miss Texas!

    Hang in there. I'm sending happy testing thoughts (if they exist!) your way!

    Enjoy your week!

    Jenny
    Suntans and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right with on wanting to cry right now. I don't have Spring break for another 3 weeks, so savor yours while you can. I'm excited to see how your book clubs are going to work. That is what I want to do with my sixth graders after we finish Where the Red Fern Grows.

    Have a great weekend!
    Jamie
    Sixth Grade Tales

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if it helps, but I think people across this entire COUNTRY are feeling stress. Our school doesn't take assessments until April and we are feeling the pinch more this month as we begin reviewing key test taking strategies.
    I was wondering if your 6th grade is self contained? Also, how long do you have to teach ELA and Math? I am also a sixth grade teacher, and curious to see the differences.
    Keep your chin up!
    Michele
    Coffee Cups and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about your rough week :(
    Now you have a whole week to relax and be productive - just make sure you have a good balance :)

    I LOVE Soul Surfer - what a great movie!

    Enjoy your break!

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry! I know the feeling. I haven't cried at school yet, but definitely in my car on the way home and at home. I believe it's a sign of being a good teacher that we care enough to get emotional. Hang in there, and enjoy your break! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey


    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't feel guilt about the movie! Sometimes you just need a little time to breathe, especially after a week like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear that you had a rough time at school! Sure hope the break helps you get uplifted again!

    I'm so happy to have found your blog. I'm a sixth grade teacher also (for 32 years now). For many years I had a teacher's website, The Teacher's Desk, but closed it down in 2012... long story. I recently started a blog The Teacher's Desk 6 and have been adding material from my old website along with fresh material. One of the things I've been doing is trying to link up to as many sixth grade (and upper grade) teacher blogs as possible. I grabbed your button and put it on The Desk already :)

    I invite you to visit The Teacher's Desk 6 and see what you think.

    Enjoy the rest of your break!
    Happy Teaching,
    Angela
    The Teacher's Desk 6
    http://teachersdesk6.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. ughhhh STAAR! I HATE IT! I have some low babies too. Two of which are currently undergoing SPEC ED testing and one going thru dyslexia testing, BUT it's too late in the year for them to receive a modified STAAR exam. It's SO FRUSTRATING, but it is what it is.

    Remember to trust in God and save time for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fellow 6th grade teacher here-I love your blog and stalk it relentlessly :)
    Stress is, unfortunately, mounting all through education as the state testing looms over us. Our test is at the end of April and I've been harping on it since August 23. Hope your spring break gives you some well-deserved rest!

    Sarah
    leeverslessons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are currently giving our state assessments, so the stress is indeed high! I'm glad that you are on spring break. I have another week and a half to get through...

    Thank you also for posting about the blogs by state linky. Lots of traffic coming from your site ;)

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your Spring Break! Hopefully it will give you a much-needed chance to relax.

    We just did some of our testing (already), and it's tough to give the necessary review without making it really boring (for you and them!).

    My old school was in the AYP mess, too- one more year not passing, and we would've been looking at state takeover. It put everyone on edge and I'm pretty sure as a staff we stress-ate about 50 pounds right before the testing window,. It was frustrating because so many of the things that we felt were holding us back weren't things within our control- but, you know, you can only do what you can, and beyond that... well, no sense worrying about it, as hard as that is. The good news? We made it out!

    I hope your school gets out of that awful cycle this year! I'll be crossing my fingers for you!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand how you feel. We just had our Benchmarks tests and there are some areas that our kids are just not getting. We have only 14 school days AND we have Spring Break stuck in the middle. I really hope our kids do well on AIMS in Az.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you had an amazing spring break!! I have tried not to think about school while I was gone, but our STAAR test is in a couple of weeks. I will definitely send positive thoughts your way and you send them mine!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!