That is what I have to keep telling myself or I think I might forget to do it. The school year has been amazing so far and I am loving my 105 6th graders! This is my first year having ELA single blocked. Last year I had my students for 2 periods which was about 2 hours each day. To be honest, I was really dreading only having them for one hour because I thought it was going to be impossible to get everything accomplished, but boy was I wrong. Having my kids for an hour has been great because I am not fighting with the issue of them becoming bored and distracted. With an hour, I am able to easily keep them engaged and on task. My behavior problems have also diminished! This girls is one happy teacher!
I am a little bummed because I already have to have a sub tomorrow for school, but it is for a good reason. I am going to another PD session about implementing PLCs on my campus. I really believe that one of the things that my campus must do to get us over the hump is to really focus on collaboration between teachers. I just wish there was some magic button that we could push and every one on my campus would buy into it. I can only hope that my kids will be great for the sub.
I also finally finished one of the products that I have been working on lately. It is Interactive Graphic Organizers for the Language Arts Classroom. Currently there are 17 files in the document, but it something that I plan on adding to as the year goes on. Here are a few preview images for you.
I promise to start answering your questions that you asked this weekend! I also cannot wait to share my Interactive Student Notebooks with you all!



I have over 100 sixth graders a day as well (four reading classes and one English class), and I am with you. I am loving it! I hope your year continues to be great!
ReplyDeleteI am teaching 4 classes of history this year and know exactly what you are talking about with the behavior problems diminishing. So far anyway. :)
ReplyDeleteThey are more engaged as well. Maybe because I am doing strategic teaching this year like never before!!
Shannon
http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com
I like the idea of having an area with all their strategies. I keep a reading binder where we add new vocabulary each week and I think it would be a great place to add an interactive reading notebook. Thanks for posting the link!
ReplyDeleteVanessa
teachingtrainingandtots.blogspot.com