What would you do if you were given a mentor teacher for your student teaching experience that you knew was not the best? I am in that situation. I received another e-mail today saying that my mentor teacher was Mrs. S in 2nd grade. I have a feeling I was given her because she is the grade level rep, but that is because no one else wanted to do it. It is also important for you to know that she was moved from 5th grade to 2nd grade because of poor student performance. I am trying to stay optimistic, but I am having a very hard time doing so right now. I am worried that I am not going to get the best mentoring from her and that my student teaching experience will not be as helpful as I would like it to be. I texted the 2nd grade teacher who I help all of the time just letting her know, and she actually knew before me and she was quite upset about it. She was going to talk to the principal tomorrow about it because she did not think it was going to benefit me. I am just worried about burning my bridge before even walking on it. I am subbing at the school on Friday so I have a feeling that the principal will be stopping by and talking to me which could be interesting. what are your thoughts on the situation? What was your student teaching experience like? Did you have a good relationship with your mentor teacher?
9.07.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Yesterday I had a teacher just show up in my room and rudely tell me that she was there to help. She proceeded to try to take over my classroom... not right away, but little by little. She interrupted my lessons, disciplined my students, and actually told me to "Wait a minute (and showing me her pointer finger)" so she could tell my students how to do something. I went to lunch practically fuming and told the other teachers on my team what was happening. They said to ask her to kindly wait until after class to give me suggestions, so right after she interrupted and spoke over me and my kids began getting out of control, i pulled her aside and politely told her that my students don't respond to more than one person. Chaos will erupt if two adults are talking. So she sat her snotty butt down and didn't open her mouth until the kids were gone at p.e.
ReplyDeleteThat was a long story - but the purpose of me telling it is that you should not be afraid to stand up for yourself. I am a first year teacher and I know my principal gave me a "mentor" to help me get adjusted, but no one walks into my classroom and takes over (unless they are the principal of course).
Talk to your administration. Let them know your worries and that you feel uncomfortable. Speak up for your rights! You don't want to have a bad learning experience because of someone!
I would def talk to administration and tell them how you feel. This is your future career and you don't need to get someone that will not help
ReplyDelete